Yeast starter from old yeast - question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propush

Reaction score
Greetings!

Thanks for giving attention to my post.

I have made a starter in order to attempt to brew from my WLP530 (Belgian ale), which is about 1 year and 8 months old.

The starter is not perfect - the temp is about 20c, and it came out 1.05 and not 1.04. I do have a stir plate.

Now, it has been about 3 days, and I did measure gravity - and it is 1.04. So something is alive in there. I do not see krausen (some foam is there, but that can be the stir plate and sticky wort). I -MAY- be smelling this sweet smell which I think is the smell of WLP530 based on my experience with beers which use it. But maybe I am just imagining.

My question is - is there a way to tell if this is in fact WLP530, wild yeast or bacteria?

Any input will be much appreciated!

As long as you sanitized like normal and have capped your yeast starter preventing unwanted wild yeast or bacteria from entering, it should just be the wlp530. I just recently made a starter with and pitched 11 month old yeast without a problem. I would be a little surprised if any of that wlp530 was still alive after almost two years, but if it works than it obviously is still alive. I would recommend leaving it on the stirplate for a few more days, let it settle for a day and decant, and stepping it up again. good luck!

Have indeed sanitized, including the measurement equipment, and covered loosely with sanitized aluminum foil. Hope you are right indeed ;]

I agree with the above posts, but just wanted to answer your question a little more directly.

Bacteriologic content can be determined by plating and observing large colony morphology. The presence of some bacteria can often be observed with a microscope. If you see small particles moving around you probably have a considerable amount of contamination. Wild yeast are generally more elongated than brewers yeast.

I'm not sure what volumes you used, but generally you'll want to start small with a low gravity when building up from small amounts of old yeast. (for example, a few milliliters of 1.020 wort)

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. For some reason I thought you were building yeast from bottle dregs. A 1L starter is fine for a vial of old yeast.

ah ok. In fact the reason I did it like this is that I was greedy and hoped to complete a two stage starter by the weekend for a beer. I've heard of doing a smaller weaker starter for a situation like this. But I don't like waiting (which is a problem in this buisnes :] )

Latest posts

Back