Yeast Starter for Belgian Strong Ale?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

nitsuj80

Reaction score
Mr. Malty is showing that I am going to need 290 billion yeast cells for the belgian strong ale that I am going to be brewing next week. According to the calculator it is showing that I will need a 1.75 liter starter with one smack pack since I will be using a stir plate. The OG of this strong ale is 1.081.

This is my first time doing a starter so let me get this straight. If I do a 1.75-2 liter starter, let it ferment for 24 hours, crash it in the fridge for 1 to 2 days, decant the beer off the top, and then pitch the slurry I should be good to go? I have also heard of guys adding some fresh wort and stirring before adding the slurry in order to get the yeast active again; is this necessary?

Thanks for the advice. This is only my second beer, first starter and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

indigi

Reaction score
Let the starter go for 48 hours. It takes ~40 hours for the yeast to hit their peak growth numbers.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
Your procedure sounds great. If you can, it's nice to allow 48 hours, but usually 24-36 is enough. It's also strain-dependent... my English ale yeast usually finishes with a starter in 24 hours MAX.

I've never heard "40 hours til peak growth"... 24-36 hours is what you see repeated over and over. Not saying it's bad or good, but possibly unnecessary.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
If your strong ale contains simple sugars I would leave them out of my wort to start. Instead introduce the sugar mid fermentation while your beer is at high krausen. You won't need quite as large of a starter and you'll end up with better attenuation.

OP
N

nitsuj80

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I was thinking about putting the starter into my fermentation chamber which is a chest freezer with a ceramic heater/temp controller to maintain a constant temp. I have two young kids and that is the safest place. Is that going to be a problem though because of the fact that it is closed off or am I worrying too much? I was thinking from an oxygenation point of view since I am relying on a stir plate for oxygenation.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
So you're talking about actually growing the starter in the chest freezer? I'm sure there's plenty of oxygen in there.

That's more dedication than a lot of us, but keeping your starters at a specific temp is just one more of those 5% factors in making better beer. I've always just done mine at room temp, which can vary from 60-85 depending on season.

sjbeerman

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I was thinking about putting the starter into my fermentation chamber which is a chest freezer with a ceramic heater/temp controller to maintain a constant temp. I have two young kids and that is the safest place. Is that going to be a problem though because of the fact that it is closed off or am I worrying too much? I was thinking from an oxygenation point of view since I am relying on a stir plate for oxygenation.
I would try to keep the starter around 70 F, if possible. Also, most starters reach their maximum cell density within 12-18 h and are complete within 24 h, according to JZ in the "Yeast" book. Allowing the starter to go an additional 8-12 h will enable the cells to build up their glycogen reserves, which they will need to attenuate the beer completely. Therefore, cold crashing after 48 h is a good rule of thumb.