Yeast Starter Flask - Storage in Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcdawg

Reaction score
I made a starter yesterday with plans to pitch tomorrow, but am now unable to brew this weekend. I read up and sounds like I can keep the starter in the fridge for a week. Just curious how most people store their starters in the fridge? I have a 2 L Erlenmeyer Flask, covered with sanitized foil and a tight rubber band. Guessing I should have picked up a stopper with the flask? Think it will be ok for a week with the foil, or should I transfer to a jar with a tight fitting lid?

I personally would use something with a tight lid, but I've read others just store it like you are now.

I had a similar question recently. I'm going to make a 1 L starter tomorrow and step it up on Wednesday with additional wort. I would think a week should be ok, but the yeast won't be as "active" as they will be on day two for instance. It might be worth a small step up for you too. Not to increase the yeast cells, but more to increase their "appetite."

Sanitized foil with a rubber band, or tape, is how I typically store mine. Zero issues from it. Nothing can fall in, and nothing will crawl up under the foil that way. I do use the foam stoppers from NorthernBrewer in my flasks (instead of foil) while they're on the stirplate.

I wouldn't even use the rubber band, just throw that puppy in the fridge with foil over the top and you'll be fine. Then on brew day, a few hours before pitching, decant most of the beer off the top, let it sit, then shake it up to release from bottom of jar. Good to go!

I don't put rubber band or tape, just press foil on top and that's it. Bacteria can't climb over the edge of flask.

That's how I do it: aluminum foil on the top, no rubberband or anything. Certainly a rubberband won't hurt, but I leave mine in the fridge for weeks at a time without one without problem.

To beat the dead horse one more time, I've never used a rubber band with tinfoil on a starter either. You'll be fine.

diS said:
I don't put rubber band or tape, just press foil on top and that's it. Bacteria can't climb over the edge of flask.

Yup no rubber band for me. That's how I do it every time and I use step starters and cold crash before the next step

I got into the habit of securing the foil when transporting my starters to my brew-buddy's place. I still do that when I have a rubber band handy/available. I know it's not required, or needed, but it's nice to know the foil won't get knocked off by accident.

I have't faced the issue, but if the flask is in a fridge that's used for food storage and is likely to be accessed by anyone else, I would secure the lid.

Back