Yeast starter flask/stopper question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to up my game by making yeast starters. I know there are simpler methods but I like gadgets so I'm leaning towards a stir starter contraption like http://www.stirstarters.com/.

It seems logical that you'd need an Erlenmeyer Flask (or as I call it a science jar) because of its completely flat bottom. I'm assuming in real life you'd need a stopper and an airlock on this when you're culturing your yeast. Is there a guide or something that shows what stoppers go with what size flask?

Also, what size flask should I go with? or multiple sizes for different gravities?

I just got my stir plate from Dan at http://www.stirstarters.com in the mail today! He is super cool and has great customer service so I highly recommend him.

I think a 2000ml flask is a good size. There may come a day when I wish i had a 5000ml, but I think the 2000ml will hold me for a while.

Don't use an airlock for sure, you want your starter to have access to oxygen while the yeast are multiplying. The best thing is to just use a sanitized piece of aluminum foil.

There is a yeast calculator on Mr. Malty's site here: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

That will tell you what volume of starter you need based on the batch size and original gravity of your beer.

Good Luck!

Definitely not smaller than 2000mL, I have 2 2L flasks and I wish one was a 5L for the lagers. Don't forget to order at least 2 stirbars, we all drop them into the fermenter once in a while.

I use a 2000 ml flask & simply put a sanitized piece of foil over the top when on the stir plate. You don't really need a stopper & airlock. You should also invest in a funnel to help with the transfer of your starter wort & yeast to the flask...you can boil directly in certain types of glass flasks, but I don't because it can boil over in a hurry.

I don't have my info in front of me, but I think I usually use 1-1/2 cups dme, 1 smack-pack yeast (Wyeast), & 1/8 tsp yeast nutrient for my 2 liter starters. Starter size should be determined by the required cell count your recipe calls for though.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

What they said ^!!!

Sanitized foil is cheap and allows O2 in. You can also buy foam stoppers that do the same. 2000ml flask is a must. I bought a 1000ml when I started making starters and immediately regretted it as my starters always overflowed when they hit high Krausen and they were just undersized. Just got a 2000ml off ebay and can't wait to use her!!!
If you have any DIY tendencies you can make a stir plate (instructions w/ pics only a search away on this site) for about $10-20 depending on how cheap you can source materials and how fancy ya wanna get.

Starters are easy man, have fun brewin' :mug:

Back