Yeast Starter Exploding!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPveritasGold

Reaction score
So I woke up this morning and went to check on my yeast starter only to find the airlock completely filled with yeast and wort. I replaced the airlock and then headed off to work. When I got home, lol and behold, it exploded again.

This is what it looked like when I left work

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435275634.933360.jpg

This is what it looked like when I got home

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435275673.518255.jpg

I've never had a problem with a yeast starter before. What on earth is going on? FYI this was a 3L starter with WLP400 Belgian Wit.

Temperature?

I can think of at least a couple of strains that could easily blow that lock off given high enough running temperature...

Cheers!

Hmmm... NB lists you right in the temp range for that strain. Was the gravity of your starter wort higher than it should have been? Secondly, it's my understanding that you should use foam stoppers for starters, not airlocks, to allow O2 into the flask, but I guess given the state of your fermentation here, the yeast are happy enough...

Starters and air locks are contra indicated. Few drops of fermcap when you boiled it and it would be fine. Stir plate also helps to keep it constantly agitated so it doesn't build up like that.

Back