Yeast Slurry harvesting with PBR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-brewmeister

Reaction score
Just racked my "kill whitey" pale ale into secondary yesterday, and I got a bit too efficient with my carboy tipping; I siphoned off just about all the liquid from the bottom - a good thing in my book, but if you need to have something in there to swirl arround to help imulsify the yeast cake, then you want to leave some liquid in there. I thought about adding some form of liquid, decided against boiling and cooling water (too much of a pain), tap water (to risky), or a bottle of homebrew (a tragic waste of good beer! :D). That was when I remembered that I had a can of PBR sitting in my vegetable bin, I guess for emergency use only, and decided to just pour that in, swirl the foamy brown gunk arround and then save that in bottles. So my question is, are there advantages to adding crappy finished beer to the yeast cake for saving? Anybody try it? I figure there wouldn't be any fermentables left in a pbr, the ph should be somewhere near what my batch of fermenting beer was, and the carbonation should help fluch the o2 out of my yeast saving bottles. I can't really think of a better use for the ol' blue ribbon!

How dare you call the PBR crappy, I think this is a noble use for the PBR. Look at it this way, PBR is so great that it just saved your ass a lot of work, boiling water and stuff, what a great beer, and don't forget the times PBR got you through all those times of being broke and out of homebrew.

Back