yeast slanting question: really high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
So I fermented my first batch from slanted yeast and racked it from primary yesterday after two weeks for some oak aging. It was a stout using British Ale II that I had slanted two or three months ago via the method posted here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/rebel-rye-porter-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains.html

It finished incredibly high, around 1.030, which got me thinking about the health of my yeast. I'm not complaining because the beer tastes wonderful actually and I'm going to be kegging so bottle bombs aren't an issue. I'm pretty sure I did everything right but could the high FG have to do with the health/viability of my yeast if I did do something wrong? I built it up with a cup of wort on a stir plate at first and then stepped up with 1.5 liters of wort for this 2.5 gallon batch. I did mash high and fermented near the lower end of the strains temp range so I'm not sure if that could have something to do about it. Also been getting some slightly high FG from this yeast in the past but never anything like this.

What do you think: Yeast problem? Mash? Temp? Combination of all three?

Back