Yeast shipping concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearkluttz

Reaction score
Posted this last night but got no responses...

I recently bought a kit from an extremely reputable HBS and although i had them add the ice pack in order to keep the yeast cool i did not pay for the faster shipping method (derrr). Needless to say in the 4 days the kit was boxed the ice pack melted and i am pretty sure the yeast (white labs california ale yeast WLP051) reached at least 90 degrees as that is what the temperature has been (average) in the regions it has been traveling in a UPS truck. Is this a probelm? I pitched this yeast yesterday at 3:30pm and have seen no obvious signs of fermentation, its still pretty early in the game but i figured it couldn't hurt to get a few opinions on whether or not the high temps affected the yeast.

Fermentation can take up to 72 hours....but ordering liquid yeast in the middle of summer is always touchy. I try to have dry yeast on hand for summer time brewing or try to pick up the liquid yeast from the LHBS if possible.

Whenever using liquid yeast, it's a best practice to make a starter to give the yeast a jump start.

I encountered the same situation about a week ago. Mine was White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast for a Porter. I to had it shipped ground with the ice packs but it was in transit for about 4 or 5 days including sitting over the weekend. I made a starter 2 days prior to brewing. Fermentation didn't start until about 36 hours after pitching. The fermentation has been going well since then and is almost done. I live in Georgia and the yeast came from AHB, so the heat is probably the same that your yeast experienced. Not to worry, just a lil more lag time. Did you make a starter?

This is a common concern. I emailed WhiteLabs on this topic and their response was that they ship internationally without problems. I haven't personally experienced any troubles and yes, my ice was melted and the yeast at ambient temp for the day on the doorstep. Perfectly fine though. I did have a pitched vial take 5 days to form Krausen once, and you know the beer came out great. Even if the cell count was affected by warmer temps, and thermal shock going back into the fridge/etc, there is usually plenty to still get a good ferment. In the future if you are skeptical of the yeast's viability use a starter. One forum member a year or two back had a package from Wyeast that was years old (it was really old) and he made a starter and it worked.

Back