Yeast settle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I made another batch today, just finished as of 5pm, I made a starter this time, and I pitched it and have it sitting for about 20 mintues and it looks like the yeast has settled out already?
I aireated well and then pitched the yeast, I might have pitched it a little hot around 75 to 78. But it looks like after fermentation is done after 20 minutes I can see a nice settlement of yeast on the bottom?? Do I leave it be or give it a good shaking again?

I know on my first batch a few weeks ago the yeast didnt settle to the bottom for a while, there is alot of settlement already is this normal when you pitch with a starter?

Oh man! You're worse than me!!!!! :p

Yes, some of the yeast will settle. But it's the ones you DON'T see that are the ones getting jiggy with the wort. So relax.

Give it 24 hours before you start getting worried. As for "shaking", it's fine as long as you aren't re-aerating. If you keep aerating, the yeast will never start producing alcohol- they'll stay in an aerobic phase, never going anaerobic. But with that said, I see nothing wrong with a little bit of a swirling motion in the carboy. Going round and round, as opposed to shaking.

Ok..... there is just a lot of settlement on the bottom, I thought that was strange for being about 20 minutes after I pitched

Give it a chance. The pitching temp is not that high. The starter and wort temp should be as close as possible within 5 degrees. At least that is what I try to hit.

Its good to shake or swirl it around to aerate/mix. It will do its thing when its good ready to do so. It will be dormant for awhile until it builds up the fuel to get going.

You are at the disadvantage of being able to see it, more opportunity to worry. :D I never bother to check for yeast settling until week 2 or 3 in the carboy 2ndary. Very often I use the 6.5gal pail so I can't even see any activity. I wait to see bubble pressure in the airlock, once I see that I forget about it altogether.

That doesn't mean I forget about geting a few wiffs from the airlock....

:mug:

Back