Yeast Screaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Who but a Viking would scream into the fermenter while pitching yeast? The idea is to make the yeast stronger and more robust, and the drinkers merrier. Yeast Screaming is a Norwegian thing.. most of my friends are Norwegians, so it doesn't surprise me much.

Seriously, I purchased a vial of Kveik Yeast from White Labs......... a HUGE vial sufficient to pitch directly into 5 gallons. My interest is in the broad temp range, from the 60's to 100F without fusels and higher alcohols. Reading about Kveik has been very interesting. It is kind of the "sourdough" of the modern brewing world. A "farmhouse" ale yeast that has evolved over time, reused again and again for hundreds of years, never isolated into specific strains. A few have found their way to the US. I'm excited about this! I run other very "loose" cultures like Kombucha and Kefir and Sourdough. This fits right into my natural inclination of letting things run more or less wild rather than trying to exercise control over everything. It will go into my Fast Ferment ................with a good healthy scream! for my continuous brew project, which I've described in several other threads. It's an ongoing brew, a few gallons pulled off to secondary each week, and fresh wort added, the hops and malts gradually being changed to match current tastes.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, and I would like to solicit volunteer "screamers" to scream in sympathy when I do pitch this yeast. This may not be too far off, perhaps as early as Sunday afternoon. If you are interested in being a support screamer, please let me know, and I will put you on a list of people to notify of the count down when the time comes. If screaming into my fermenter works, then hundreds of people around the world screaming along with me can only result in a superior beer ;-)

While this was written "tongue in cheek", (most of it), I do in fact intend to scream into my fermenter when I pitch this yeast, and I will appreciate your support. below are a couple of great links. The blog is wonderful, the Utube is in Norwegian and the "scream" is not impressive at all, I plan a much more dramatic scream!

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/
https://youtu.be/87yuqFrB3Cg

H.W. (English, Swede, and French)

MOD EDIT: Removed Political comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting! I support you put me on the list! I'll scream with ya and toast a beer to your new batch as you pitch! :mug:

John

Interesting! I support you put me on the list! I'll scream with ya and toast a beer to your new batch as you pitch! :mug:

John

BRAVO !!! My first fellow screamer........ You wouldn't happen to be Norwegian would you ;-)

H.W.

Moving my project up a bit. I expect to be pitching Kveik yeast at exactly 8:00 PM Mountain time. Screams and even wolf howls will be appreciated from wherever you are.

I checked out the juniper situation locally, and it's pretty ugly........ all last year's growth so far, so brewing with juniper will have to wait for fresh growth.

H.W.

Ok Owly, your two hours behind me so at 10:00 pm my time I'll give a scream (or maybe a howl) and hold up a glass and toast to your yeast for you! :D

John

Why is it so hard for you to keep the political stuff in the political areas?

And to wit your nonsensical screaming at the yeast, I submit that they have been screaming back for far longer.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3859762

Nonsensical? If you read the links, you will see that this is a very serious thing in Norway. Or was. I is entertaining, and certainly no more "nonsensical" than many American traditions. I contacted friends who are members of the local Sons of Norway and borrowed a horned viking helmet for the occasion.

Your link reminds me of a science fiction book I read as a child in which someone had the ability to hear communications between plants.....the shriek when a flower was plucked, etc..... Asimov or Bradbury I believe, but my memory of such things dating back 50+ years is not all that sharp.

H.W.

I have to say going all out with the horned viking helmet from the "Local Sons Of Norway" is totally awesome! Sounds like a great time and cool tradition!

John

I have to say going all out with the horned viking helmet from the "Local Sons Of Norway" is totally awesome! Sounds like a great time and cool tradition!

John

I'm actually going just a tad further....... My family has a sword making tradition dating back many hundreds of years, so I have taken the lovely old sword that hangs on my wall and strapped it to a buckler (over the shoulder style). I've been out in the back yard practicing my best Beowolf battle cry.........though the sword in not in the Norwegian tradition, I suspect that the yeast will be sufficiently impressed when the time comes. 20 minutes and counting as of this writing.

H.W.

That's even better, I like hearing stories about family traditions and sword making is a great one! Ok I'm gearing up almost time!

John

That's even better, I like hearing stories about family traditions and sword making is a great one! Ok I'm gearing up almost time!

John

Three minutes to go.......... gotta sign off and climb the ladder and get ready!!

H.W.

It should be interesting to see if we impressed the Kveik yeast........... I gave it a pretty awesome scream. I didn't hear yours, but 2000 miles is a long way for it to carry. Hopefully yeast has sensitive ears.
I'll document the time to the first bubble and post it here. Thanks for the support!!

I have an empty vial now....... If you are interested in trying Kveik let me know and I'll send you a crop........ assuming it performs. I chose Kevik on advice of a member here for it's huge temp tolerance and low fusel production. I want a yeast I can brew with while cruising the South Pacific Islands in a year or two. What better than a Norwegian yeast for brewing while voyaging. I hope to be at sea for 5-10 years..... or even more.

H.W.

That's awesome, if it performs I would love to try it! If you listen real good my scream will probably arrive in your neck of the woods in a minute or two! Good luck with the batch. 5-10 years at sea is amazing!

John

Woke up at 6:00 AM and checked, and the airlock was bubbling away merrily like an old time percolator!! 10 hours......

I didn't follow the White Labs directions, forgetting to remove the yeast from the fridge until about 15 minutes before pitch, I shook the single vial up, and set it in warm water, shaking periodically and renewing the water, taking care to caress it and say nice things to it. I then pitched it into the brew at 68F with my best Beowolf battle cry. There was not room to brandish my sword while standing on a 2' ladder and scream into the fermenter at the same time. I unfortunately forgot to leave the lid off for the support scream from 2000 miles away, but I am beginning to suspect that yeast does have sensitive ears, and it's clearly singing back to me..... or is it screaming?

Direct pitching a single vial of White Labs yeast and getting this level of fermentation this quickly is impessive!! This is good yeast.

H.W.

That's great Owly 10 hours is very fast for one vial, has to be the yeast responding to the screaming!:D Let us know how the beer turns out! This is a fun thread, I'm surprised others didn't see the unique coolness and spirit of it. Unless it was the political stuff, but I ignored that since this is a yeast thread right! Oh well. I was glad to participate in a cool tradition with you brother and I learned a little something about a cool Nordic custom!

John

I just collected about a pint of Kveik yeast this morning from the yeast collection ball on my Fast Ferment... Lovely clean trub free yeast. If you want some let me know.

H.W.

That's great Owly, I would love some. Going to a wedding right now so I will send you a pm over the weekend!

John

[well actually]

Viking helmets didn't have horns. That was added later, I believe in operas, to make things look more dramatic. Someone belonging to a group titled "Sons Of Norway" should know better, unless he is just taking the piss out of you.

Anyway, there is no such thing as a "horned Viking helmet".

[/well actually]

[well actually]

Viking helmets didn't have horns. That was added later, I believe in operas, to make things look more dramatic. Someone belonging to a group titled "Sons Of Norway" should know better, unless he is just taking the piss out of you.

[/well actually]

Sing it Brunnhilde!

Damn, super late to this game. As someone who is currently sipping a kveik beer havested from Voss Bryggeri which used the local Voss kveik strain, I can attest to this being complete and utter BS.

This part actually had me chuckling out loud, "you will see that this is a very serious thing in Norway." This is simply pure Norwegian humor. Such dry humor that you can't tell whether one is being serious or just dicking around, but you're more convinced that they're serious.

As you can see from your first link, written by a Norwegian: "A strange custom they have in Stjørdalen in Norway." Strange even to Norwegians...

So there ya go.

Enjoy your kveik. And your fake Norwegian custom.

;)

[well actually]

[/well actually]

Authentic or not, they have become so universally associated with Vikings that they are a tradition among the Americanized Norwegians who make up most of the community I live in, and most of whom are but one generation removed from Norway.

While yeast screaming may be a made up "tradition" like horned helmets, it's pretty compelling one that fits right in with the classic behavior of the drunken Norwegians I know so well. One that they would quickly and enthusiastically embrace.

H.W.

Damn, super late to this game. As someone who is currently sipping a kveik beer havested from Voss Bryggeri which used the local Voss kveik strain, I can attest to this being complete and utter BS.

This part actually had me chuckling out loud, "you will see that this is a very serious thing in Norway." This is simply pure Norwegian humor. Such dry humor that you can't tell whether one is being serious or just dicking around, but you're more convinced that they're serious.

As you can see from your first link, written by a Norwegian: "A strange custom they have in Stjørdalen in Norway." Strange even to Norwegians...

So there ya go.

Enjoy your kveik. And your fake Norwegian custom.

;)

0010457.gif

or in viking speak,

4889-0-1479867662.jpg

Your link reminds me of a science fiction book I read as a child in which someone had the ability to hear communications between plants.....the shriek when a flower was plucked, etc..... Asimov or Bradbury I believe, but my memory of such things dating back 50+ years is not all that sharp.

H.W.
I think that was Roald Dahl. He definitely wrote a short story like that...

Moral of the story - most Americans will latch onto any cultural "custom", regardless of basis in reality, for an excuse to party!

And they cling on to any and all european ancestry. If they were born and raised in the US, they're Americans, not Norwegians - not to mention if they can't even speak the language.

Also, not all vikings were coming from Norway...

[well actually]

[/well actually]

Fine then, we'll just stick to the term mushroom tip. ;)

I always scream into my boil kettle when the hot break starts (while I'm stirring in order to scare it down) and my blender when I'm making hot sauce to give it some extra anger. I'll have to start creaming at my yeast starters before I pitch them now to ensure they get the job done.

I always scream into my boil kettle when the hot break starts (while I'm stirring in order to scare it down) and my blender when I'm making hot sauce to give it some extra anger. I'll have to start creaming at my yeast starters before I pitch them now to ensure they get the job done.

I appreciate the idea of giving hot sauce some extra "anger"........ A great concept. I find the last sentence of your post a bit disturbing.... "creaming at my yeast starters" ???? I don't quite know what that means but it sounds vaguely obscene..... :confused:

........... Please don't clarify......... I really don't need or want to know.

H.W.

Back