Yeast Question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been home brewing for about a year now using the Brooklyn Brew Shop kit and I recently decided that i want to go ahead and try to make my own recipe to celebrate my 30th bday coming up. I decided the best way to do this was to go simple (i thought) and do i SMASH "Pale Ale" Recipe using Two Row (cause its whats most available to me) and Galaxy hops (cause they are my favorite). I want to brew a one gallon batch first to make sure it comes out alright and then scale it up for 3 gallons.

Well I have most of it figured out, but I've ran into a little confusion with the yeast. I want to use Wyeast 1056, but while reading the package it says it is intended for 5 gallon batches. I don't want to over pitch and ruin it, so i'm not sure what my options are.

Any suggestions??

I would use a starter/pitch rate calculator like this to help determine how many viable yeast cells you may have in that package of yeast.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
Making a starter with your pack of yeast will propagate healthy yeast cells to help prevent unusual ester production from yeast that is less than fresh.

At the very bottom of the calculator screen will be the percent of the starter to pitch and the percent to harvest for your next starter.

Just say so if I confused you.

You're in the same boat as this guy. One pack of liquid yeast will work fine for a 1 gallon batch. It'll be over pitching but probably not by much. Check the calculator linked above. Yeast package date and beer OG are needed to know for sure. If you want to you can do a starter and split it so you use some in this batch and the rest in the 3 gal batch.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=598096

You could use dry yeast and weigh out what you need in grams.
If you want to save the 1056 for the 3 gallon batch.
I would figure there is roughly 5.2 billion cells per gram of dry yeast.
S-05 is a good dry Ale strain.

Awesome!! Thanks everyone. I think i might go with the dry yeast for the one gallon for now and then make a starter for the 3 Gallon batch since that's closer to the 5 gallon.

I started with those same one gallon kits. At the time, I knew next to nothing about yeast and starters and wanted to keep things as simple as possible. I just opened the package (dry or liquid) and threw it in. It might have been too much yeast had I done things the "right" way and used a starter and yeast nutrients and the like. But using the pitch it and don't think about it method turned out just fine. If you have to choose between too much and too little yeast, choose too much.

So I think I may have finally gotten my recipe down. It took me a little while to figure out the hop schedule without making it too bitter. I kinda got away from the SMaSH idea. I added Caramel/Crystal 10L to add more color to it, but kept to only using Galaxy Hops.
I attached the link here so anyone can take a look and tell me what you think. It's my first try so any advice is appreciated!!

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1382173/galaga-birthday-party

Looks like a good simple APA. Should work fine. If you want to get a little more sense of the flavor/aroma of the Galaxy hops you might try adding a 1 or 2 oz hop stand.

Basically, you finish your boil, cool the wort to 175F, put the hops in, cover the pot and hold that temp for 30 min or more. Then finish cooling to pitching temp and proceed with fermentation. This will add more in the way of flavor from the hops while your dry hop will add more in the way of aroma. A hop stand does not increase bitterness.

One other thing I noticed is that you only seem to be allowing for 1/2 gal boil off for a 60 min boil. If you know this is your boil off rate, that's fine. But if you're not sure, you should confirm it. A small batch like that doesn't allow for much variation in boil off.

Back