Yeast question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
So I'm brewing Orfy's Hobgoblin clone tomorrow. I had to substitute williamette for the styrian goldings, dont think that will be the problem. I bought a package of Nottingham Ale Yeast, but the guy at the LBHS forgot to put it in the bag. When I got home there was no yeast. The LBHS is an hour away. I have a package of Coopers brewers yeast, and I have a package of Muntons brewers yeast. Will there be any issues with using either of these? Which one would be better? Will there be any off flavors from using either of these, vs. using the Nottinghams? I need to brew tomorrow, cause I wont have a chance to brew for a while. What would you guys do?

I've never used either of those but I believe they both come from reputable sources.
I think you'd be fine with either one. Certainly better than not brewing at all.

In the past I've kept a few packs of these cheaper dry yeasts lying around in case I had a stalled fermentation or in case of other emergency. I had to use them once or twice and saw no ill effects although the use of them was pretty much just to finish off a stalled fermentation, etc.

FWIW, this is what I got from Midwestsupplies brief descriptions:

Cooper’s Ale (7 grams): General purpose dry ale yeast with a very good reputation. Produces significant fruity flavors, but no phenolic characteristics. Clean, fruity finish. Ferments between 62 and 72º F.

Munton and Fison Ale Yeast (6 grams): Munton’s Yeast has very hardy characteristics and will tolerate a wide range of temperature variations during fermentation. For recipes with ingredients consisting of sugar as a source of fermentables, this yeast is very acceptable.

Never had the Hobgoblin, so not sure how much fruity/estery flavors there are to it. I think I'd lean towards the Coopers though - no particular reason really.

Now I just keep extra Safale 05 and 04 and Nottingham around since they are only .50 or so more a pack than the Munton/Coopers...

Good luck!

+1 to Coopers. That would suit Orfy's Hobgoblin recipe well in the event of a Nottingham Noninclusion Error. :D

Back