Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaTarTar

Reaction score
Hello I am new and just have my first batch of Mr. Beer fermenting but after reading these forums I just ordered a 6 1/2 gallon bucket setup from Northern Brewer. My question is if you find a lager recipe that you like but dont have equipment to lager can you use an ale yeast with that recipe? I know it will change the flavor profile but was just wondering what kind of effects that may cause. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can. Like you said, it will change the profile, but you can make very excellent beers like this. You'll still want to ferment at as low a temperature as you can though. If you get into the high 60s or low 70s, you'll get further and further from the lager-like profile you're going for. You should use a clean ale yeast, like WLP001, or maybe even a German Kolsch stain (like WLP029 - German Ale). You could even try a California Common strain - a lager yeast that ferments nicely at cool ale temps (like WLP810 - San Fran Lager yeast)

Basically, an ale yeast and/or warmer temps will give you more fruity esters, but you'll still make good beer.

Latest posts

Back