Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayni

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and still on extract recipes (mostly from NB, first 2 kits were BB) so far have bottled 3 of the 6 kits I have. So my question is this, is yeast the best or first way to start "tweaking" some of these recipes to my preferences? I feel I am starting to get close to where I want to work outside the printed recipe, but not comfortable enough to go way off course and need some guidance from more experienced brewers. I've learned a lot here already so thanks for all advice :)

What are you trying to accomplish with what style of beer? Your post is way to vague.. Different yeast produce different flavor profiles... the same yeast provide different flavor profiles at different fermentation temps. LME/DME amounts added to different steeping grains amounts also play a huge difference...

GySgtLynn said:
What are you trying to accomplish with what style of beer? Your post is way to vague.. Different yeast produce different flavor profiles... the same yeast provide different flavor profiles at different fermentation temps. LME/DME amounts added to different steeping grains amounts also play a huge difference...

Sorry for being vague (to me its not because I'm new to this) for instance- the hefeweizen I just did I taste too much banana flavor, maybe not aged long enough? (5 weeks or so from start) But I don't care for that in particular, should I try the recipe with a different yeast strain or look for a whole new recipe for one with less banana flavors?

Also I am looking for things that would make a noticeable difference to the flavor that are easily obtained with my little experience ;)

Fermantation temps with the hefewizens in the lower 60s have more of a clove flavor, temps in the upper 60s have had more banana flavor.

GySgtLynn said:
Fermantation temps with the hefewizens in the lower 60s have more of a clove flavor, temps in the upper 60s have had more banana flavor.

Good to know, I am researching on what I know so far, this hefeweizen was a NB kit with wyeast# 3068 fermentation temp is about 65-66° so if that helps, any other ideas for flavor changes is a great help ad well :)

GySgtLynn said:
What flavor profile are you trying to achieve?

This is just an example of what I am experiencing, I really am just looking for ideas on simple ways to change the flavors and play the recipes I have, in "extract form"

You can change the flavors in extract through yeast and specialty (steeping) grains... If you don't like bannana flavors in your hefes try fermenting around 62...

I had the same question a while back, read as much as you can, on this site and others, and ask questions. Another think I found out, via this site, is that a lot of breweries are really cool to home brewers, so if you email them questions about brews you like a lot (not all) will point you in the right direction for a recipe. My brews also gained a huge leap when I started making starters and pitching the correct amount of yeast, there are a TON of threads here for that, it is a cheap easy way to improve your beer. Attention to fermentation temps is another key, research the yeast you are using ahead of time and plan how to achieve the desired characteristics, ie; temp control. Personally, I d not have a fermentation box/modified fridge, but I find a swap cooler works really well for the desired effect for little money. I use a plastic keg tub and refill and freeze the 1 gallon jugs of water I use to brew with to lower temps. Another thing to think about is a partial mash, also very inexpensive and easy to do. From my experience, I have found better flavors in my extract brews with DME over LME and I try to do a lot of late DME additions too. Dry hopping is another way to change you flavor profile as well as late hop additions, it just depends on what you are looking to change.
For my last extract brew w steeping grain (all grain gear coming on Monday;can't wait!) i made a Russian Imperial Stout kit, pretty basic, but I decided to kick it up a bit, too say the least! I also ordered 8oz Cacao nibs and some American oak cubes, medium toast. I soaked the cubes in Port (wine-ish) for about 3 weeks. thinking I was good to go, I checked the gravity of the RIS and was off by quite a bit, I did not pitch enough yeast, so I re-hydrated a pack of Nottingham and added that, BAM a week later right at my FG for 3 days straight. So, I racked the RIS onto the oak cubes and the soaking Port and the Cacao nibs. Even better(in my opinion, lol) I made a "tea" of dried Ancho Chilis, smoked jalapenos, with vodka, and added that ounce by ounce to the brew to get the right amount of smoked heat. That is a lot of work to modify a kit beer, but shows you the possibilities you have at your hand. Started with a Russian Imperial Stout kit, will end up with a Russian Imperial Chocolate Stout w Port Oak and Smoked Chilis.... Let your taste buds direct you and people all over this site will be more than willing to help you out! Just be as specific as possible when asking questions and include all the details of your process and what you hope to achieve. Hope I did not overwhelm you, good luck brewing, and welcome to fold...

ChadChaney said:
I had the same question a while back, read as much as you can, on this site and others, and ask questions. Another think I found out, via this site, is that a lot of breweries are really cool to home brewers, so if you email them questions about brews you like a lot (not all) will point you in the right direction for a recipe. My brews also gained a huge leap when I started making starters and pitching the correct amount of yeast, there are a TON of threads here for that, it is a cheap easy way to improve your beer. Attention to fermentation temps is another key, research the yeast you are using ahead of time and plan how to achieve the desired characteristics, ie; temp control. Personally, I d not have a fermentation box/modified fridge, but I find a swap cooler works really well for the desired effect for little money. I use a plastic keg tub and refill and freeze the 1 gallon jugs of water I use to brew with to lower temps. Another thing to think about is a partial mash, also very inexpensive and easy to do. From my experience, I have found better flavors in my extract brews with DME over LME and I try to do a lot of late DME additions too. Dry hopping is another way to change you flavor profile as well as late hop additions, it just depends on what you are looking to change.
For my last extract brew w steeping grain (all grain gear coming on Monday;can't wait!) i made a Russian Imperial Stout kit, pretty basic, but I decided to kick it up a bit, too say the least! I also ordered 8oz Cacao nibs and some American oak cubes, medium toast. I soaked the cubes in Port (wine-ish) for about 3 weeks. thinking I was good to go, I checked the gravity of the RIS and was off by quite a bit, I did not pitch enough yeast, so I re-hydrated a pack of Nottingham and added that, BAM a week later right at my FG for 3 days straight. So, I racked the RIS onto the oak cubes and the soaking Port and the Cacao nibs. Even better(in my opinion, lol) I made a "tea" of dried Ancho Chilis, smoked jalapenos, with vodka, and added that ounce by ounce to the brew to get the right amount of smoked heat. That is a lot of work to modify a kit beer, but shows you the possibilities you have at your hand. Started with a Russian Imperial Stout kit, will end up with a Russian Imperial Chocolate Stout w Port Oak and Smoked Chilis.... Let your taste buds direct you and people all over this site will be more than willing to help you out! Just be as specific as possible when asking questions and include all the details of your process and what you hope to achieve. Hope I did not overwhelm you, good luck brewing, and welcome to fold...

Thank you, that was incredibly helpful actually. I may just have to do some more reading, I think my biggest hurdle is just going to be understanding the details better, I'm afraid that what I think may be simple will completely ruin my batch. I was thinking about picking up some one gallon jugs for my own little experiment and using them as a 2nd breaking down a five gallon batch and "play" with dry hopping that way. I just need to get outside that comfort zone somehow ;)

Back