yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsbrews

Reaction score
I have a few questions about yeast sorry if they are basic and stupid questions. What is the benefits of using a starter? What is the difference between dry and liquid yeast? What dose it mean to wash yeast?

Thanks
Ren

1. Using a starter ensures that you "start", or pitch the correct amount of yeast. There are a few calculators you can use to make sure you do in fact use enough yeast for your brew. Many many people under pitch when they do start fermentation.

2. Dry yeast is just that, dried yeast, which you want to rehydrate with warm water about 1-3 hours before pitching into your wort. Liquid yeast is in a liquid and does not require rehydrating. But it is a good idea to use a starter as mentioned above.

3. Washing yeast is when a beer is done and there is all the yeast and trub at the bottom of the fermenter and you "wash" the yeast to seperate the trub from the yeast, which can be reused.

But what about the kits from northern brewery kits where it gives you the option of liquid or dry wyeast dose it make a difference in the outcome of the beer or is it more of a preference? Also another question I thought of dose yeast affect taste or anything like that? Sorry if these questions have been asked before

It depends a bit on the recipe. For most ales, in "normal" gravity ranges, dry yeast such as S-05 is fine and dandy, and cheaper to boot.

If the kit gives you the option of a dry yeast, I'd say go with that. Not that it's better - just that it is easier to work with which makes one less thing to worry about on brewday.

Yes I res# the links and I understood what you were talking about I was just unsure about that one thing that is all.

Back