yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a Fat Tire clone this weekend. As I don't have access to the Fat Tire yeast (stupid proprietary strain) a few people have suggested I take a standard ale yeast and ferment at higher-than-normal temperature (uppper 70s/lower 80s) to allow the formation of some phenols and esters (which I taste in Fat Tire), while still retaining some level of crispness that the ale yeast would provide (which I also taste).

So, having said that, any recommendations on a yeast that might lend itself better to this type of manipulation? I'd prefer to stick with dry yeast if I could, although I do have some washed Wyeast American Ale II in the fridge.

As always, any help is always appreciated.

PS And yes I know there is no right answer to this one. I love to experiment - I'm just looking for a bit of direction here.

I have just looked through the 'Best of Brew it Yourself: 150 Classic Clone Recipes' and they state Wyeast #1272 or WLP051 (Cali Ale V) for Fat Tire Clone.

Back