yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roylee

Reaction score
Made an all-grain pale ale using a recipe I've done dozens of times. Everything went fine. Chilled and was draining into the primary when I got a call and had to leave. Only step left was pitching the yeast. Asked my wife to do it. Using dry Windsor. She asked how. I told her to just follow the instructions on the label. I return a few hours later. Everything looks fine except the head space in the 5 gal carboy was gone. I asked her and learned that she read the label (place yeast in a little warm water, etc.). She misread. Thought "little" was "litre," so the yeast was mixed with far more water than I'd ever used. Fermantation started and went OK. Left in primary for 3 weeks, then to secondary (corny keg). Waited a month and carbed. Tasted OK but has the color of a butterscotch malt. Let it settle out another 3 weeks. No better. Refuses to clear up. Taste is fine but you could drop a marble in a glass and never see it. Might this extreme murkiness have anything to do with all that water with the yeast? No infection... tastes fine. Just wondering.....

I don't think your wife is to blame, that would have no affect on the clarity of your beer. what was your recipe?

Recipe is 9 lbs 2row (Rohr) 1 lb Caramel Pils 2 oz Cascade for 60 1 oz Cascade for 1 min Windsor Ale Yeast. 3 1/2 gallons of dough-in at 152 for 1 hr, heat an additional 5 gallons to 180 and batch sparge 3 times to get a shade over 6 gallons, which I boil down to a bit under 5 gallons. Found another problem that might be related... last night there was a small puddle of ale under the keg. Couldn't see where the leak was due to the plastic cover, but apparently a pin-hole leak has developed in the corny. The batch from hell, I guess. Thanks...

Back