Yeast question as it relates to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigdogMark

Reaction score
I've made cider/cyser now with EC-1118, S-04 and Nottingham yeasts. One thing that has been going through my mind late at night is the likelihood of continued fermentation and bottle bombs with S-04 and Nottingham if I let the ferment to completion. When brewing beer, the yeast consumes all the fermentable sugars or dies due to alcohol level and then we don't have bottle bomb issues. I am aiming for 1.015 to 1.010 as the FG for a bit of sweetness, but I want to avoid bombs. That requires pasteurization with EC-1118, but the S-04 and Notty seem to stop well short of 1.000 much like they do when fermenting beer. If the cider has stopped fermenting on its own, is it likely to be able to restart in bottles, or has the alchohol level reached a point where the yeast are inhibited?

Ale yeast will ferment apple juice completely, to dryness. If you are doing a very high abv cider, that will stop the yeast, but then the yeast won't carbonate in the bottle, either.

Back