Yeast prop difficulty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shnick

Reaction score
Trying to propagate a batch of yeast from a bottle of Kellerweis.
Anyone have an idea as to what I'm not having luck? Two bottles down, no go.
Using 1.040 SG, energizer and a stir plate

Are you certain that the bottles were not pasteurized? Bottle conditioning is one thing, but if they pasteurize the bottles before packaging for shipment, then you have pretty dead yeast on your hands.

Yeah I'm thinking so. How is that done exactly, I mean it's done after the conditioning is done, correct? With heat?
Any Hefe I ever had tasted like smashed a$$ if it got too warm.

Usually they are flash pasteurized, bombed with UV light, heat pasteurizing requires the bottles to be heated up to a certain temperature for about 10 minutes. Reading about how SN bottle conditions, they basically carbonate about 80% before they bottle then dose with fresh yeast and sugar to continue conditioning. Thing is, they don't say that they use the same yeast that they used to ferment with. They could be using the Chico strain for fermentation and dosing with champagne yeast for all we know.

I use the bottle heat method on mine. Get them carbonated to where they should be and then 10 minutes in a 180*F water bath, let them cool over night and then store them until I want to drink them. Easier than trying to keep batches of bottles in the fridge. I have a cider that I did this way several months ago and it tastes just as fresh as it did on bottling day.

I see the usefulness of the hot bath, I just keep mine in the fridge, 12 pk at a time.
Thanks guys.

Trying to propagate a batch of yeast from a bottle of Kellerweis.
Anyone have an idea as to what I'm not having luck? Two bottles down, no go.
Using 1.040 SG, energizer and a stir plate

If the yeast have been killed as suggested above then it's a no go. However, yeast in a bottle are often stressed by; alchohol, time, temperature etc. It's often advised to use a lower gravity media for culturing from a bottle. Less stress on already stressed yeast. Try 1.02 wort. I have had the best success using only 5 mL of wort in a 15 mL centrifuge tube, add about 1 or 2 mL of dregs, shake well before inoculating and occasionally, leave the cap loose between shakes. You'll know you've got it when you hear a psstt when you open the cap after you shake (carefully though, if it's very active it may spew).

Thanks Trent, your saying use a old yeast tube? I'll give it a shot.

I'll probably try Paulaner instead, I like the taste a tad better

That will work. Try filling about about 1/3 with wort then bring it to 1/2 or less with dregs.

Back