Yeast Prices - What happened?!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philm63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just looked at one of the larger on-line brewing supply sites and the prices for liquid yeast are up quite a bit. What gives? I know it's been maybe 4 or 5 months since I purchased liquid yeast but from a LHBS - my last on-line liquid yeast purchase was probably a year ago but I remember the prices being around $7 to $9. It's more like $10 to $12 now! What happened?!!

I get all my ingredients from atlantic brew supply online, they are still $7-$10 for liquid yeast depending on the lab.

damn, i remember 16 years ago, a liquid yeast pack was ~$3 and dry yeast a bit more then a buck.

gets much worse, and i can't use wine yeast either, i'll just start opening a window!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINE-YEAST...981175?hash=item4d90edbc77:g:n24AAOSwmU1cpgc4
i pitched 25g's of that and been repitching it for a few months, it started out kinda watery. but i add gluco so it goes dry, starting to get more body. on how ever many repitches it's been, but i still got the rest in case i get a infection (i don't like)

it flocc's good, which is honestly the only reason i don't use baker's yeast.

edit: being i usually repitch for a year before 'freshing' up. that's 20 years worth!

Last edited:
At a quick look, More Beer, Adventures in Homebrewing and Great Fermentations are all about $8 for White Labs and Wyeast. Northern Brewer is charging ~25% more for .... ???? But the Midwest Supplies version of their web site prices are normal.

damn, i remember 16 years ago, a liquid yeast pack was ~$3 and dry yeast a bit more then a buck.

gets much worse, and i can't use wine yeast either, i'll just start opening a window!

The price rise in yeast is how I wound up joining HomebrewTalk. I was exploring yeast information. I use dry yeast, but it is also up, especially Nottingham.

At the moment, I'm leaving my windows closed and just ordered nothing but S33 for my next six batches. Even though I'm an old dog and like to keep things simple, I may have to try yeast harvesting.

Last edited:
I've noticed that yeast prices are way up, but it might just be that the specific yeasts I'm looking for are expensive ones.
Even at $10 a shot, the yeast really isn't that bad if you repitch it a few times.

You can use K1V-1116 wine yeast to make beer. It attenuates very well. (it might be the only one that does) You might not like its ester profile; I thought it was good the time I tried it, but I haven't gone back to it yet. I'm thinking about using it in an upcoming porter.

Economics. Demand for yeast of all kinds went way up this year. I just read that sales of baker's yeast almost doubled. The forums here are crammed with new homebrewers. Homebrew supply has become a big business, NB is now owned by a giant corporate conglomerate, and pricing will sometimes be inscrutable.

Just get a packet of Voss kveik and never have to buy yeast again!

Economics. Demand for yeast of all kinds went way up this year. I just read that sales of baker's yeast almost doubled. The forums here are crammed with new homebrewers. Homebrew supply has become a big business, NB is now owned by a giant corporate conglomerate, and pricing will sometimes be inscrutable.

I've been having trouble lately with VK taking forever to carbonate, mainly I think because I'm not storing the bottles warm enough. Not a problem if you're kegging it. I agree with your sentiment and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of one pack of OYL061 and it's still going strong, but I'm looking for a good winter yeast that I can repitch over and over. (I think K-97 might be the ticket)

Yup. This is why I try to use yeast at least 3 times. Especially as I’m brewing 3 gallon batches.

I will plan recipes in advance that use the same yeast. And brew light to dark, weak to strong, less hoppy to more hoppy. Same way judges judge beer.

1056 might go pale ale, IPA, American barleywine. Could probably squeeze others in if I wanted. 1968 would go blonde ale, bitter or ESB, English IPA. Lots of other combinations and ways to do this. Still trying to find more than 2 to with 1728. 3068 would be a challenge to use more than once as that’s a one trick pony.

One local wine supply store recently doubled their prices for dry yeast packets. From $1 to $2 (1118 or 1116)
The horror!
Seriously though it sucks. Not sure if some manufacturers switched some of their production from alcohol yeast strains to bread strains back in March/April when there was shortages of bread yeast everywhere, or if it's unrelated.

Higher prices suck. But not raising the prices when there's a shortage sucks worse because soon yeast (or whatever the commodity is) will not be available at any price. Now, you can buy a pack of Imperial A09 (that's the one I'm looking at) if you are willing to pay $10.49. It keeps the hoarders in check.

That dry Voss is nice. Real nice. I just wish I still had that SC summer heat to do a few more extreme fermentations!

The price rise in yeast is how I wound up joining HomebrewTalk. I was exploring yeast information. I use dry yeast, but it is also up, especially Nottingham.

At the moment, I'm leaving my windows closed and just ordered nothing but S33 for my next six batches. Even though I'm an old dog and like to keep things simple, I may have to try yeast harvesting.

Do you like S-33? Not many folks have good things to say about it. I actually do like it, except it has a bad habit of stalling. I'm probably not using it right (maybe you're supposed to stir it after a few days to rouse it)

Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies online prices are often higher than their in store prices on a lot of things. I think the $9.99 NB is advertising online is to make up for the "free" shipping for orders over $40.

4th 10 gallon batch working on same two packs of 34/70 ($6 ea) I dry pitched over a month ago.

Morebeer has free shipping at $59, and decent pricing.

Do you like S-33? Not many folks have good things to say about it. I actually do like it, except it has a bad habit of stalling. I'm probably not using it right (maybe you're supposed to stir it after a few days to rouse it)
Yes, I like it. I brew mostly toward British ales. I haven't experienced the stalling, but I don't track gravity. I don't stir, even at pitching.

NB is my LHBS and I know they are no longer owned by ABI. As far as I understand it, its been nearly two years.
I didn't know that, so I looked it up. Apparently AB-InBev sold them to Back Street Capital in August, 2019. So I apologize: Northern Brewer is no longer owned by the Evil Empire, they're owned by regular, American capital.

You must be looking at Northern Brewer... They are ALWAYS the high price leader... Look at Morebeer.com for all you needs... They are quick to deliver, unless you get your stuff from PA.... in that case you are going to have to wait 8-10 just like Northern Brewer.

You must be looking at Northern Brewer... They are ALWAYS the high price leader... Look at Morebeer.com for all you needs... They are quick to deliver, unless you get your stuff from PA.... in that case you are going to have to wait 8-10 just like Northern Brewer.
I have been looking at morebeer.com. The yeast I want is $10.49 just like at all the other places I usually shop. (I haven't checked with the LHBS yet but I don't think they sell Imperial) So I'm thinking about using a packet of S-33 that I have already instead since I'm brewing a British bitter :D (no idea why Fermantis calls that yeast a Belgian, it's more like a close cousin of Lallemand Windsor)

I have been looking at morebeer.com. The yeast I want is $10.49 just like at all the other places I usually shop. (I haven't checked with the LHBS yet but I don't think they sell Imperial) So I'm thinking about using a packet of S-33 that I have already instead since I'm brewing a British bitter :D (no idea why Fermantis calls that yeast a Belgian, it's more like a close cousin of Lallemand Windsor)
You must be looking for Imperial yeast which is more expensive. The cheapest I have seen for Imperial is Brewchatter.com but is still $9.99 and they include free ice packs.

Yet another reason to overbuild your starters.
EXACTLY!!!!!! I bought 6 yeast packs at the beginning of the year and I overbuild every time.... I even put dry yeast on a stir plate and it works wonderfully...

S-33 is supposed to be the old Edme strain.

FYI prices haven't changed so far on the other side of the pond. Availability might become an issue soon though... :(

Why won't you just say the lab and strain you're looking for instead of allowing for endless speculation? As people have already suggested, Imperial Organic is a 200 Billion pitch count pack which is significantly different from Wyeast and White Labs. Is it worth almost double the price? That very much depends on the gravity of your batch, the batch size, the style of beer, the yeast strain, the yeast pack age and whether or not you're willing to build the cell count with a yeast starter.

I didn't know that, so I looked it up. Apparently AB-InBev sold them to Back Street Capital in August, 2019. So I apologize: Northern Brewer is no longer owned by the Evil Empire, they're owned by regular, American capital.
I missed that too. Having always been a MB customer, I haven't paid much attention to NB.
(It's Blackstreet Capital Holdings, one of these shell corporations that acquires debt and/or equity in lots of different businesses. So not a "giant" corporate conglomerate, a small-to-middling sized corporate conglomerate without a particular business-line focus. What that means for NB customers is anyone's guess.)

I've been having trouble lately with VK taking forever to carbonate, mainly I think because I'm not storing the bottles warm enough. Not a problem if you're kegging it. I agree with your sentiment and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of one pack of OYL061 and it's still going strong, but I'm looking for a good winter yeast that I can repitch over and over. (I think K-97 might be the ticket)

In the winter, I put my bottles on a heating pad. In the summer, I just put them all out in the shed. Usually, they're drinkable in about a week. I've had the same trouble in the past, though. Never noticed any off-flavors by adding heat or leaving them to condition in the heat.

I missed that too. Having always been a MB customer, I haven't paid much attention to NB.
(It's Blackstreet Capital Holdings, one of these shell corporations that acquires debt and/or equity in lots of different businesses. So not a "giant" corporate conglomerate, a small-to-middling sized corporate conglomerate without a particular business-line focus. What that means for NB customers is anyone's guess.)
In the past I have used More Beer. I was using Midwest Brewer when their prices started rising as they were acquired by Northern Brewer. In the last few years most of my ordering has been from Label Peelers. I'm an extract brewer usually preferring Munton's. Present cost of 3 lbs. of Munton's DME:
Northern Brewer 16.99
Midwest 14.99
More Beer not available
Label Peelers 8.34
Label Peelers doesn't have free shipping, but the order that came yesterday had 30 lbs of DME plus other stuff. The freight was 16.06, so the cost with freight for 3 lbs was 9.95. That's a bargain. The main trade offs are a poorer selection on grains, a difficult web sight, and needing to order enough to spread the freight costs out. The 8.34 price is a sale price, but the math works at their usual pricing too, if one doesn't feel a compulsion to wait for the sale.

Last edited:
I forget about Label Peelers. Thanks for the reminder. I've ordered from them before (a bunch of packs of dried yeast) and was happy with them.

Yup. This is why I try to use yeast at least 3 times. Especially as I’m brewing 3 gallon batches.

I will plan recipes in advance that use the same yeast. And brew light to dark, weak to strong, less hoppy to more hoppy. Same way judges judge beer.

1056 might go pale ale, IPA, American barleywine. Could probably squeeze others in if I wanted. 1968 would go blonde ale, bitter or ESB, English IPA. Lots of other combinations and ways to do this. Still trying to find more than 2 to with 1728. 3068 would be a challenge to use more than once as that’s a one trick pony.

You can also over-build the original package. Propagate a 2 liter starter from a single yeast packet. Pitch one liter and save the second one. Next batch make another 2 liter starter from the reserved 1 liter from batch 1. Pitch 1 liter from starter 2 and use the other 1 liter to make the next starter, and so on. A few cans of Propper is a lot cheaper than 4 new vials/packages of new yeast, and they're basically the same yeast as the original with little if any genetic drift.

Brooo Brother

Back