Yeast Pitching Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seldong

Reaction score
I am brewing a batch of beer and I was trying a new method of cooling my wort and it worked too good, got my wort temp into the low 50's. I havent pitched my yeast yet as I am heating some water to add to the wort to bring temps up, but what I am curious about is what is the low range of temps for pitching yeast? I am using Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast. I hope to bring the temps up to at least 65 before pitching.

Why add any water just bring out an let warm up naturally ... Just a thought
50 is not that far off....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was going to add water anyways to get up to 5 gallons. That's what the recipe I am using called for.

Would it hurt it to pitch the yeast and let it warm naturally?

Wyeast site says it 1056 does well at 60-72. If your top off water is room temp you'll likely get close enough to that range. I read that some people pitch at a little lower temp because the process is naturally going to release heat.

It depends on how the yeast has been prepared.

The aim is basically to pitch at a temperature that is warmer than the yeast culture. Yeast going from cold to warm is good, yeast going from warm to cold is bad.

So if your yeast are from the fridge then 50F is fine. I take my starter from the fridge an hour or so before and pitch at low 60's high 50's. This then goes into a water bath at the fermentation temperature where the wort and yeast together are brought up to ferm temps. The yeast therefore go from a cold environment gradually to a warm one.

If your yeast are at room temperature, you want your wort to be around the same or slightly warmer. If your yeast is at say 70 and your wort is at 59 then you yeast arn't going to like that. The other way around you are helping them along. You want to avoid over warming your yeast culture before pitching because common room temperature is too high for fermentation and so you would have to cool the wort down after pitching. Meaning the yeast would go from cold to warm to cooler, not ideal.

The advantage of a cooler wort as well is that it is easier to aerate. So if you yeast have just come from the fridge pitch to cool wort and warm both wort and yeast gradually top ferm temps.

With S-05 I always lower my wart temp to as close to 60 as I can, and put it in my swamp cooler @ just above 60. The yeast will heat-up the batch to around 64-65, which is what gives the best flavor for me. After 2 weeks, I bump up the temp to 68-70 to finish her off.

I use 1056 all the time. Try to keep it around 65 and its perfect.

Don't warm it up too much.

A really good pitch temp for that 1056 (btw, hopefully you made a starter since one vial isn't enough cells) is 60-62*F. After pitching, let it warm up into the 64-65*F range. After activity decreases (usually a few days), raise it up to 69-70*F to encourage the yeast to clean up by-products.

Back