Yeast On Yhe Bottom Of My Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelob

Reaction score
I BOTTLED 2 DAYS AGO AND GOT 48 BEERS.THIS IS MY FISRT BATCH. ITS IRISH RED ALE.COLOR LOOKS GREAT AND SMELLS GREAT, I EVEN TASTED IT BEFORE BOTTLING IT AND IT TASTES LIKE ITS GOING TO BE REAL GOOD.I BOTTLED 1 BOTTLE IN A CLEAR BOTTLE JUST TO WATCH IT . I HAVE A MILKY FILM THAT LOOKS LIKE YEAST ON THE BOTTOMIS THIS OK? I SWIRLED IT AROUND AND IT DISAPEARED AND CAME BACK THE NEXT DAY. I ALSO NOTICED WHEN I SWIRLED IT I THINK I ALREADY HAVE SOME CARBINATION.IT DOES LOOK MORE CLOUDY THAN I WOULD HAVE LIKED. WILL A SECONDARY FERMENTER HELP THE CLARITY ALOT? I WAS GOING TO LET THE BOTTLES SIT FOR 2 WEEKS IF I CAN BUT I CANT WAIT TO DRINK:rockin:

All home brew will have yeast sediment in the bottles. just leave that little bit out when you pour into the glass.

also...

capslock.jpg

Yep, that's yeast allright. Don't worry about it, it's normal.

After two days, your beer is nowhere near ready to drink. Even at two weeks, although it will have cleared dramatically, it will still be very young, probably with some off flavors. (hot alcohol flavors, green apple flavors, etc.)

If you want to try it at two weeks, fine, but it will improve with another week or two in the bottle. The difference will be very noticable.

Keep your mind off of it, brew another batch. It will make the wait easier.

For a first batch though, it can instructive to drink one a week as it conditions so you KNOW how the conditioning process proceeds. Besides, it's hard to wait that long for your first one :mug:

+1

The rule of thumb is at least 3 weeks in the bottle, and yes you will have yeast that settles at the bottom of your bottles. Just make sure to leave 1/4" of beer (and the yeast) in the bottle when you pour. Someone had a video on how to properly pour a homebrew once.
-Me

For a first batch though, it can instructive to drink one a week as it conditions so you KNOW how the conditioning process proceeds. Besides, it's hard to wait that long for your first one :mug:

But it can also be DESTRUCTIVE as well. The problem with drinking green beer is when it tastes GOOD. I remember my first batch was gone way before it was ready cause I couldnt keep my hands off of it. When I finally got to sample the LAST bottle of that batch (that I gave to someone who actually listened to me telling them to let it condition) it was heaven. And I almost cried cause I wanted more...
-Me

But it can also be DESTRUCTIVE as well. The problem with drinking green beer is when it tastes GOOD. I remember my first batch was gone way before it was ready cause I couldnt keep my hands off of it. When I finally got to sample the LAST bottle of that batch (that I gave to someone who actually listened to me telling them to let it condition) it was heaven. And I almost cried cause I wanted more...
-Me

Which is why it is best to make more beer than you can drink in a night :rockin:

Which is why it is best to make more beer than you can drink in a night :rockin:

Translation - Get yourself a healthy pipeline NOW!!!
If you can get away with brewing every weekend, its a start. Bottling your beer is a good way to save on beer, once you start kegging its all over... :rockin::rockin:
-Me

Back