Yeast nutrients from the corner pharmacy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GQT

Reaction score
Copper and zinc, right? OK, they say tossing a few pence in the kettle will solve the copper problem but what about zinc?
Has anyone ever tried simply emptying a vial of liquid zinc gluconate into the kettle or fermenter?
There isn't much - 5 ml usually - so it'd hardly set the taste off, but talking about giving some additional food to the little guys it might work.
Zinc itself will not spoil anything but what about the agent - this very gluconate thing?
:confused:

A tablespoon of bakers yeast (or old brewing yeast) tossed in the boil will do fine. I've never found a need for any nutrient; malt has plenty of nutrients for the yeast unlike the juice used for wine or cider.

If you get a commercial nutrient
I would if I could.
I'm stationed in China and most of all these homebrewing bells and whistles are not part of my reality.
Waiting for winter (which in my location translates as "a few weeks in a year when the temperature drops below 28C") to mail order a few vials of liquid yeast - no liquid yeast here _at_all_.

Back