Yeast nutrients a little confusing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

Reaction score
Tried making mead like 6 years ago or so. Jumped in...didn't really have all the correct info, made several gallons and not knowing I needed to age it, dumped it after it tasted like arse after a few weeks of primary fermentation. Now I look back and want to kick myself in the butt for dumping out like 4 gallons of what might have been some good mead.

Fast forward to today. I feel much more informed. The only thing I'm a little unsure about is what to order for my yeast nutrients. There seems to be several things and some may be overlap?

Fermaid K/Fermaid O
Yeast nurtrient
Yeast energizer
Go-Ferm Protect
Probably some others as well....

So what do I actually need? Nutrients and an energizer but what products should I order? I want to order from Amazon so if you could even provide some links it would be greatly appreciated.

Fermaid K/Fermaid O Are essentially the same thing. Fermaid K is kosher.
Yeast nurtrient Is the generic term for any nutrient
Yeast energizer is usually not a full nutrient load - often compared to a cup of coffee vs real food. Personally, today with quality lab produced nutrient packages I don't see any value in adding energizer
Go-Ferm Protect This is the nutrient you can provide yeast when you are rehydrating. Regular nutrients contain compounds that will kill the yeast if they absorb the compounds before all their cell walls are fully developed Go -Ferm helps with cell wall development.
Probably some others as well.... DAP but DAP is basically nitrogen ( a key "nutrient") made from urine. Many mead makers today avoid DAP. Fermaid O or K will provide all the organic nitrogen the yeast need.

If you're going to drink a mead super early, drinking it while it's still not done is the best, which it still has a lot of sugar to mask any harsh notes, and a bit of CO2 in suspension. Otherwise, wait wait wait.

Batchbuilder linked above is good, and the mead reddit's wiki has a nice page on it. I'm also working on a more in depth guide for my website/ another project.

Back