Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
When do i use Yeast Nutrients? Can i use it in the cultivation? or does it only go in the honey at the tail end?

Also can i use DME for the cultivation? or will that screw up my mead?

I think i only put 3 oz in the flask so it's not alot at all, that shouldnt mess up the flavor when i pitch it correct?

Sources:

The following are some of the commercial sources for the required nutrients:

* DAP (Diammonium Phosphate) - Contains fermentable Nitrogen and phosphorus.
* Fermax™ - contains diammonium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, autolyzed yeast.
* Fermaid K™ - Contains a variety of compounds such as amino acids, sterols, yeast hulls, and vitamins; also contains a limited concentration of fermentable nitrogen.
* Yeast Hulls – Commercial brand is Ghostex™. The remains of dead yeast in powder form. The hulls provide lipids for your yeast to build strong cell walls, and absorb autotoxic yeast byproducts that could inhibit alcoholic and malolactic fermentations. They can be used if you encounter a stuck or sluggish fermentation.

Note that many Homebrew stores have their own mixture that they provide, often with no name other than “Nutrient” and “Energizer”, but each will have a similar combination of compounds that give the yeast what they need.

Dosage:

Use between 0.5 – 1 tsp. of both Energizer and Nutrient per gallon of Must. They can be added during the boil, or directly to the fermenter if the no boil method is used.

Warning – Do not use too much of either or you risk changing the flavor of the Mead and creating compounds that may spoil your batch.

It kinda answered my question, any other thoughts?

Buy good nutrient from a reputable dealer....(I get LdCarlson version) and follow the directions for use.

as for DME in your starter, I can't see that it would HURT anything, but it will certainly change things...especially in higher dosage.

Use extra light DME, and crash cool the starter to get yeast out of suspension. then decant as much liquid as you can, and just pitch the slurry. that'll minimize any flavor imparted from the DME.

There are a lot of opinions as to when to add nutrients to a mead. Some put them all in when they pitch the yeast. Others stagger the additions, starting when they pitch the yeast. I usualy put about 50% of them in when I pitch. Another 25% about two days later. Another 25% after about a week. If you are using dry yeast, don't use nutrients when you rehydrate (Go Ferm is ok). Too much DAP can kill the yeast. I use little, if any, in a starter for the same reason. A starter made with DME wouldn't need nutrients anyway. How big is your batch of mead? 5 gallons? I doubt you could taste 3 oz of DME in five gallons of mead.

Latest posts

Back