Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
Hello All
In a hurry is not good. I have never used a yeast nutrient before, so this was a first. In a hurry to get the wort in the chamber and get done for the night. I misread the label of LD carlson yeast nutrient. I added almost 5 table spoons instead tea spoon. But I added it after the wort was cooled and in the carboy. Yes I know chance for infection. So I did not boil this so I am hoping that it will not dissolve totally and I will be ok. Lesson learned. What will be the effect on my beer any ideas??

Depending on the contents of the nutrient you used you may get a metallic flavor from zinc or yeast autolysis flavor (meaty, soy sauce, umami) as a lot of nutrient is just dried spent yeast hulls. It may be fine, it may be not so fine. You'll find out soon enough.

It says on the package food grade urea and diammonium Phosphate. And maybe since it was just crystals and not liquid it wont break down. It is a black ipa at 94 ibu 7.5% so maybe the will mask it !!

I used to use that for beer and it made my yeast throw a noticeable amount of esters. I think it's just supposed to be for mead because there's enough DAP from the barley. Let me know how it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back