Yeast Nutrient and Yeast Energizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
From my wine making experience, I regularly use yeast nutrient and yeast energizer with all my fermenting wines. Are either of these products suggested during beer fermentation?

You usually don't need them, as grains are packed full of nutrients that wines and meads are typically lacking. They can help though, particularly in massive beers requiring the yeast to perform great feats of fermentation.

I don't need use yeast nutrient unless I'm using washed yeast. Then again I'm still using 1056 since feb. And still going strong.

Wine must typically doesn't have all the nutrients that barley/wheat have contributed to wort. In most instances you won't need nutrient or energizer for beer fermentations. When you're making a "Big Beer" like a RIS or Barleywine or even a DIPA you may want to use some nutrient or energizer to help the yeast along.

When you're making a "Big Beer" like a RIS or Barleywine or even a DIPA you may want to use some nutrient or energizer to help the yeast along.

In this case, should the nutrient or energizer be used when the yeast is pitched? Or, should at some point into the fermentation when the fermentation has slowed down?

Nutrient should actually go in the last 5-15 minutes of the boil.

As emjay said add it at the end of the boil before chilling, this helps to ensure it's sanitary and lets it dissolve a bit better than adding it directly to the fermenter. In the case of a big beer I'd add both, if your fermentation sticks then add a bit more Energizer.

Nutrient is usually just Nitrogen in the form of DAP, Energizer is Nitrogen and a plethora of other things (Yeast hulls, Magnesium, Vitamin B, Calcium) for the yeast to eat.

In my case I use mine after I chill the wort and never had a problem. I think personaly putting yeast nutrient in boiling wort does nothing for the yeast at that point. So I guess It's a matter of choice

Back