Yeast maturation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirginiaHops1

Reaction score
I'm reading Palmer's book and he talks about the yeast maturation phase, after active fermentation is done. I don't have the book on me but I believe he recommends for ale around day 3 active fermentation is mostly done and to crank up the ferm temp by 5-10 degrees, to get maturation phase clean-up going. Because otherwise the yeast can go dormant after fermentation and won't clean the beer up as well.

I've seen people mention on here they raise their temps a little towards the end of fermentation, or in bottle conditioning, but his recommendation seems early and aggressive. My 2nd brew is a DIPA that's on it's 5th day today and I did raise the ferm temp a bit this morning, from 67 to 70. Maybe at a week I'll go a little higher. Anyone following his recommendations and noticing improvements in their beer? On my first beer I just set ferm temp at 68 and didn't mess with it the whole time.

Someone will come through with the science and/or timing but yes a post-fermentation free-rise in temperature a couple degrees for a couple days helps the yeast clean up by-products that you don't want in the final beer (diacetyl etc.). Doesn't mean your first beer will come out poorly I just think a good number of homebrewers do the post-ferment temp rise as standard practice for "clean-up".

So I guess what I'm wondering is what do you guys consider post fermentation. I've seen people mention they raise it towards the end of their 2 week fermentation period. But Palmer seems to be basically saying do it on day 3, if I'm remembering what I read last night correctly. And how much do you raise it? A few degrees or 5-10 like he recommends? I know that a lot of this is trial and error, and as I brew more I'll play around and see what happens but interested in what effects others have noticed.

It really depends on the yeast, and what temp you're starting at.
For my lagers that I ferment at 48-50, I generally do a 5-10 degree rise about 7 days into fermentation.
With most ales that I'm fermenting in the low-mid 60's, I'll raise about 5 degrees and yes sometimes it will be after 3-4 days. I don't obsess about what things look like anymore(the advantage of brewing in closed buckets) but it would generally be when the krausen falls.

Back