Yeast Left in White Labs New packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmberger21

Reaction score
So I just pitched wlp001 into my starter and looked into the bottom of the yeast package and found that it was still full of yeast stuck to the bottom. I shook the crap out of it before I opened it in anticipation of that happening but apparently that wasn't good enough. What do I do? Did I pitch enough to make a good starter or should I trash it and start all over?

I had the same thing happen and I just squeezed the yeast out of the package into the fermenter. Worked fine. I haven't checked gravity yet, but it fermented just like normal.

Last edited:
I will pour a small amount of RO water back into the package to get that last bit out. It has worked just fine on my last few batches.

It actually has more yeast cells than the bottle packages and I just heard a podcast where Chris White mentioned this. He said there's no reason to worry about getting every bit out.
I've used pure pitch packages 5 or 6 times now and have no problem. I shake them up a bit and just squeeze.

I had the same issue till I found out there's actually two packages. There's the outter package with all the labelling on it and what not, then there's an inner pouch where the yeast is, and this container is clear.

So here's what I've been doing, cut the outter package so that they seperate, now I can see the yeast. Shake it up profusely, and move the yeast about till it all appears to be in slurry. This might take a minute or so, then I open it up and pour right out. Once you can see the yeast, it's way easier to tell when you get it all.

Go to https://www.yeastman.com/Login/Public/Report/PublicLabQCResult.aspx to get your initial cell count at the time of packaging. Note: I have three containers in my fridge atm, 1 pure pitch and 2 vials. The pure pitch is the lowest listed cell count, and NONE of them are near 100B cells (31, 42, and 60B) ... I just emailed whitelabs, waiting for a response.

I was also reading that some people remove the inner package before squeezing into the fermenter or starter so that it doesn't fall into the carboy!
it can be helpful to remove it so that you can see the yeast and roll-it up as you squeeze it out like toothpaste..
I'm all for it if the yeast is healthier and it makes better beer!

Wyeast must be having a good laugh at all of this.

Your probably right on about that!

I have found if you squeeze it and smoosh (If that's a word) it around really good before you open it up you should be able to get most all of it out while just pouring it out. There is generally enough liquid in there to get the yeast movable...

Cheers
Jay

Just my 2cents those packs are 100 billion cells.
If you are making a starter for a 5 gallon batch you will be way over-pitching anyway. Better off if half the yeast stays in the pack.

Just my 2cents those packs are 100 billion cells.
If you are making a starter for a 5 gallon batch you will be way over-pitching anyway. Better off if half the yeast stays in the pack.

Except that their very own quality control report is shown that the package in my fridge is ~30B cells. I get more from a 50mL slurry harvested from a starter that costs me less than a buck.

As far as over pitching with "a starter" ? Lolololol okay. First you have no idea what size starter or % extract they're using, so you have no idea how many cells are being propagated. Moreover a starter increases nutrient reserves which ensures healthy and quick fermentation.

I don't see what people are complaining about. These new packages are easy to store, easy to open and easy to empty the contents. Just squeeze it like a toothpaste tube. With how many cells are in these it doesn't really matter of you get ever drop out. I also think it's nice that they don't gush out the cap like the old ones. I'm diggin the new packs

Pour a little of your starter back in the package and stir it til the remaining yeast is pourable. You can do it multiple times if needed.

Unless you're doing this aseptically that's as sure fire a way to get an infected starter as I can imagine.

The little bit of yeast that remains in the pack isn't worth trying to get if doing so causes an infected batch.

Unless you're doing this aseptically that's as sure fire a way to get an infected starter as I can imagine.

The little bit of yeast that remains in the pack isn't worth trying to get if doing so causes an infected batch.

Really? How so? I don't see how pouring from one sanitized container to another would introduce an increased risk of infection. Besides the fact that even being downright negligent with my own sanitation practices at times, I've never had an unintended infection in several hundred batches. I've even reused yeast that had dried to the bottom of carboys left open for several months. If you're even a little bit careful, contamination shouldn't be a problem.

Really? How so? I don't see how pouring from one sanitized container to another would introduce an increased risk of infection.

Your containers may be sanitary, but is your breath or the air you're surrounded by? Is there any dust in the air to get into those vessels or that liquid stream? Are you positive that there are no mold spores anywhere nearby? All it takes is one errant spec of dust, spore, or breath droplet to contaminate a batch.

I'm not say you can't get lucky, because you obviously can (and apparently have), but the simple fact is that anything short of an aseptic transfer when working with microbes and growth media is playing Russian Roulette with infection risk vectors.

Your containers may be sanitary, but is your breath or the air you're surrounded by? Is there any dust in the air to get into those vessels or that liquid stream? Are you positive that there are no mold spores anywhere nearby? All it takes is one errant spec of dust, spore, or breath droplet to contaminate a batch.

I'm not say you can't get lucky, because you obviously can (and apparently have), but the simple fact is that anything short of an aseptic transfer when working with microbes and growth media is playing Russian Roulette with infection risk vectors.

Meh if you're that worried about it, then your starter wort is already doomed.

I boiled my starter wort, then microwave it for 1 minute. Several academic reports say this is sufficient for most household microwaves, although one did say 5 minutes is necessary.

I'm not concerned with getting the extra 5B stuck to the walls of the tube.

Meh if you're that worried about it, then your starter wort is already doomed.

I boiled my starter wort, then microwave it for 1 minute. Several academic reports say this is sufficient for most household microwaves, although one did say 5 minutes is necessary.

I'm not concerned with getting the extra 5B stuck to the walls of the tube.

That has nothing to do with transfer contamination, which is the issue of impact when discussing multiple retransfers to capture 100% of available yeast as was recommended.

Most of us are working in basements, garages, or outside, not in a vacuum or a lab environment. If pouring a few oz between sanitized containers is risky, we're all screwed anyway. Personally I'd rather just relax and make beer. It's worked for me so far.

Slightly off topic, but I emailed White Labs about what part of the PurePitch should be returned for Customer Club redemption.
You can just cut the tops off to redeem.

Thanks and have a nice day!

White Labs, Inc.
Sales/Customer Service
888-593-2785

Back