yeast issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogboyBrew

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain yesterday and pitched wyeast 1056 once my wort got to 65. My ferm chamber is set at 65. It's been coming up to 24 hours since I pitched and I'm seeing zero activity. All of the yeast has settled on the bottom. How long should I wait before re-pitching? is this normal with 1056 to start slow?

Did you make a starter? 24 hours is too soon to be worried. If, after 72 hours, you still don't have any krausen and gravity hasn't changed, you have cause for concern.

I know the package says it's enough to inoculate 5 gallons of wort, but in reality you usually get better results with more yeast - either by using extra packs or making a starter.

First I would ask how old was the yeast pack, did you make a starter and what was your OG?

Then I would say don't worry about it and give it another 24 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No, no starter this time and the og was 1.060. I would assume the pack was fresh, I ordered it from NB last week. It is a 3 gallon batch. Should I bring the temp up at all? And if it does come down to re-pitching, would it be ok to toss in some US-05 instead of waiting another week for new yeast to arrive?

Thanks for the replies. I've never had one slow to start like this. And with my first AG brew day being a success(or so I hope anyway) I was starting to worry...but yes RDWHAHB

Do you have the yeast package yet? The yeast could have been up to three months old.

No I tossed it. I'm going to wait another day and then if nothing re-pitch with some us-05 and hope for the best.

So I returned home from work and found this........

14vtmpe.jpg

woo!

Back