Yeast in the mail - did it get too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
With Covid - i ordered yeast from morebeer with my grain, rather than go to the local shop, assuming it would ship from pittsburgh only got one ice back, well they shipped from california am when it arrived totally warm. I made a starter last night and i see no activity. Is it possible all the yeast died in transport? THinking i should go get new yeast before i brew tomorrow... What do you think?

It could be completely dead. Or maybe mostly dead. It may take several days for the few cells that may have survived to come back. It which case you would most likely have to step that starter up several times to get enough to brew with.

If you are planning on brewing tomorrow, get fresh yeast. Then call Morebeer and see if they will replace what you ordered.

Keep it spinning, it may take a few days to grow enough for a pitch. Once the starter turns creamy and opaque, you know it's close to done. I'd give it another 12-24 hours after that turning point. Pitch the whole thing. Or save some out for another starter for a next batch.

Latest posts

Back