Yeast in suspension

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigapinnc

Reaction score
Ok, I cracked open one of my homebrew which is a blonde, It has been in the bottles for two weeks. It is well carbed but the yeast is very much still suspended in the beer. It tasted good but didn't like the way it looked. What could be the cause of this? Will it go away?

Half of my batch was kegged in a 2.5 gallon keg. Should be concerned? I naturally carbed it as well.

How long was it fermenting before you bottled? That you be your answer...some people cold crash or use irish moss to make their beers clearer, but letting it sit long enough in fermentation will do wonders, for flavor and clarity.

How long was it fermenting before you bottled? That you be your answer...some people cold crash or use irish moss to make their beers clearer, but letting it sit long enough in fermentation will do wonders, for flavor and clarity.

Irish moss is really for clearing break material from beer I thought. Yeast isn't even introduced until after the boil. I think this has to do with how long it cleared in the fermenter and how much yeast got into the bottle, then how long it chilled in the bottle.

Well i didn't have it in the fridge very long. I really wanted to try one so I put it in for about four hours. I let it ferment for two an a half weeks total. It cleared out really well. Maybe leaving them in the fridge for a while will crash the yeast

Well i didn't have it in the fridge very long. I really wanted to try one so I put it in for about four hours. I let it ferment for two an a half weeks total. It cleared out really well. Maybe leaving them in the fridge for a while will crash the yeast

Yea it should really spend a few days at fridge temps.

You know this was my first time using white labs california ale liquid yeast. I have always used dried yeast and never had any issue like this. Is this pretty typical for these types of yeast?

Bigapinnc said:
You know this was my first time using white labs california ale liquid yeast. I have always used dried yeast and never had any issue like this. Is this pretty typical for these types of yeast?

If you mean liquid yeast, yes and no. There are so many varieties of liquid yeast! Some drop out of suspension (flocculate) better and faster than others. You can look at the Wyeast and white labs websites to see the characteristics of any yeast you're thinking of using. Attenuation means how much of the sugar will be converted into alcohol and as I said, flocculation means the yeast drop out of the beer and sit on the bottom of the fermenter. -or not of it's a low flocculating yeast.

Ha well I don't care as much about the look typically but I just dont understand why there is little yeast hanging out in my beer ha

If it's only been two weeks since bottling, the yeast just haven't had a chance to finish up their work and then fall out.

A longer period of time will make a HUGE difference in the clarity! Another week at room temperature, and then a week or two at fridge temps will make the beer look like a commercial beer.

Back