Yeast in Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMC12

Reaction score
So I have a question about barrels (wood) and yeast.

I purposely put sour yeast/bacteria into a small oak barrel that I have. I am using it for 100% sour beers and to also sour half a batch of anything else that I would like. My question comes from a recent batch that I did.

I made a Tej which requires you to ferment for 3 days, take half the batch and simmer it on the Gesho sticks. After this you put it back into the fermenter. I wanted to try and sour half of this batch, but didn't want any of the regular yeast to go into the barrel.

To do this I took my 2.5 gallons and I boiled it for 15 minutes (so that all of the yeast in the solution would die). I then used my siphon to move it into the barrel (freshly drained of a 100% sour beer).

After 4 days of no airlock activity (the Gravity had dropped to 1.030 before adding to the barrel, figured there isn't much sugar left), my airlock jammed up with yeast. To me this looks like the krausen that I had in the normal fermentation process, but I could be wrong.

So, my questions is this, I know that the bacteria and bugs/sour yeast will live in the wood and is impossible to remove through cleaning. But, is the normal strain of yeast able to be sanitized out of the barrel or is that stuck in there now to? The reason I am asking is because I want to be able to recreate the beer in there that had only 100% sour bugs.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back