Yeast in hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary2287

Reaction score
I took my OG reading after pitching the yeast and got a bit of yeast in the hydrometer. Would this affect my fermentation? Should I look into getting another packet and replacing the amount I drew out?

I took my OG reading after pitching the yeast and got a bit of yeast in the hydrometer. Would this affect my fermentation? Should I look into getting another packet and replacing the amount I drew out?
If you mean you got some yeast in your hydrometer sample... I would not worry about it. It won’t affect anything.

If your hydrometer is cracked, you should definitely replace it. The beer is probably fine though unless you put the hydrometer in the actual fermenter.

I could be wrong but I believe what happened was the OP collected some of the freshly pitched yeast (dry, most likely) along with wort in the hydrometer sample flask and is concerned it depleted the yeast remaining in the fermenter to a point of concern...

Cheers!

I could be wrong but I believe what happened was the OP collected some of the freshly pitched yeast (dry, most likely) along with wort in the hydrometer sample flask and is concerned it depleted the yeast remaining in the fermenter to a point of concern...

Cheers!
You're probably right, but he specifically says he got yeast in the hydrometer, so thought it was worth mentioning.

Cheers!

Yes, taken literally, the OP came up with a whole new paradigm on HBT.
Still, if one literally managed to get yeast inside a hydrometer I don't think the immediately reaction would be to pitch more yeast :)

Cheers!

Back