Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingBoar

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting into yeast harvesting and have some questions about what I would need. So far this is what I have come up with.

Flask
Stir Plate
Mason Jars

Is there anything else you can think of that would be helpful? What size flask and brand would you get and the same with the Stir Plate.

Thanks for all the help!!!

:mug:

Here's a great thread about yeast re-using: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Also, stirstarters.com sells a solid stir plate. And, if you would rather build one, he has all of the info on the website to build your own.

A 2000mL flask will be great for ales.

I was actually looking at that but haven't made through all the pages yet. Would you need a bigger flask for different yeast? Would you also recommend a digital scale?

Thanks

Mrmalty.com has a calculator to determine what many consider to be optimal liquid yeast pitching rates. In general, ales need ~1-1.5L starter, with lagers needing much more.

Mrmalty.com has a calculator to determine what many consider to be optimal liquid yeast pitching rates. In general, ales need ~1-1.5L starter, with lagers needing much more.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm about to try some lagers and want to try and reuse them. I've seen where some beers may require up to 8 yeast viles which seems alot to me, but what do i know. :confused:

Latest posts

Back