Yeast Harvesting Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimsonwine

Reaction score
I want to harvest yeast from what was left over from my cream ale (WLP001 California Ale) I just kegged. I have poured over all kinds of web sources and I am still a little confused...

I bought a stir plate and an 2000ml flask so i can make yeast starters. Additionally, I was thinking of sanitizing and reusing my white labs vials to store the yeast until i make my starter.

In the picture below is what I poured out of my fermentation bucket and I stored in my fridge for a couple days. I sort of see the separations.

yeast.jpg

So the questions....

1. Everything above the green line and below the blue line is no good correct?...Although below the blue line looks like the rest for the most part...

2.What I want is between the blue and green line?

3.Can I use a turkey baster to pull out the middle stuff?

4. If I collect a white labs vial volume of this stuff that should be more than enough to make a starter with correct?...There just seems to be alot of middle area of stuff I can use.

5. Is there a good pictorial tutorial or video on the web somewhere? I looked and really couldn't find any...

Thanks....

OK I washed my yeast..and for the life of me I can't tell the layers apart except the upper beer looking liquid....Mine seems to separate into two layers....

So I started a yeast starter for my deception stout tonight and I have no idea how much slurry to add to my flask...I did a 1400ml starter and about a cup of slurry....

I made my starter with 140g of light DME and 1/8tsp of yeast nutrient and put it on my stirplate....

I also washed my bock lager yeast...and again...I just see two layers...so I filled two ball pint jars with it and will put in fridge....

Hope this works... :)

Just follow the sticky instructions step by step. I've done it this way a number of times. It works really well. Don't worry about the separation. The slurry always sinks, and the liquid always floats. I have a half dozen mason jars in my fridge right now with yeast that I washed. They all have liquid floating on them. When you go to make a starter, just pour off most of the liquid, swirl the slurry to get it into suspension, and pour it into your starter. You'll have happy yeast in no time.

. . .I can't tell the layers apart except the upper beer looking liquid....Mine seems to separate into two layers....

...I just see two layers...so I filled two ball pint jars with it and will put in fridge....

You're not following the directions! Read the sticky and do exactly what it says. You don't wait for the solution to break into layers. And you certainly don't chill it. You wait only 20 minutes or so, just enough time for the yucky stuff to fall to the bottom and the good stuff is still suspended in the liquid, then pour off the liquid. Repeat. Repeat again, if you feel like it.

Just follow the sticky instructions step by step. I've done it this way a number of times. It works really well. Don't worry about the separation. The slurry always sinks, and the liquid always floats. I have a half dozen mason jars in my fridge right now with yeast that I washed. They all have liquid floating on them. When you go to make a starter, just pour off most of the liquid, swirl the slurry to get it into suspension, and pour it into your starter. You'll have happy yeast in no time.

What he said

Back