Yeast Harvest is this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in:
I followed this link to wash the yeast- https://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/01/30/yeast-washing-101/

The pic is my version of pic 6 in the link which is the end result of washing 1/3 of the Trub from my last harvest in a 1/2 gallon Jar and this is what I am left with.

1.Is that enough? Pitching for a 1050 Porter (which is what it was used for originally)

2. Creating a starter... Bring harvested yeast to room temp, Decant (Pour off) the water.. Do I just use that water to create my starter? IF so what kind of ratios to use? I have some DME here to feed it. Just unclear on the amounts?

Attachments

• Yeast 1.JPG
    Yeast 1.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 57
  • yeast 2.JPG
    yeast 2.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 59
That looks like yeast. But I t’s not much. I’d recommend building a starter.

If you search this site you can find all sorts of calculators to figure how big of a starter to make. It’s essentially a small beer with a gravity around 1.035.

I’m not the best source on starters. I usually just make two liters on a two gallon batch of beer.

Back