Yeast harvest from blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
I normally don't do a blowoff tube but I did this Saturday. It looks like I'm blowing off some yeast in the process. Could i try and make a starter out of it? I've only got like 5 AG under my belt. I did my first yeast washing per Bernie's Sticky last week, so I'm not the most sure about the harvesting stuff yet. Just wondered, thanks for any help.

BMW-LDB

Some of the British breweries do this so that the yeast is not wasted. They repitch it into another batch. I

would try and get some into a starter if it is a good yeast. If it is standard dry yeast, I would not worry about it. It is very cheap.

If you have the tube sealed on both sides and everything is sanitized, you could have the yeast flow into a conatiner to pitch to a starter.

I have wyeast east coast ale. So it cost me 5.99 so I was gonna wash it any way but thought about making a starter out of the blow off maybe. I guess I'll give it a try its only gonna cost me a cup of DME. I'll see how it works.

Thanks

BMW-LDB

I have wyeast east coast ale. So it cost me 5.99 so I was gonna wash it any way but thought about making a starter out of the blow off maybe. I guess I'll give it a try its only gonna cost me a cup of DME. I'll see how it works.

Thanks

BMW-LDB

Do it and let us know...like you said you're only out a cup of DME...

I've wondered the same thing myself.

OK I will when its done with its initial explosion of CO2. Can I refridgerate the starter after (if ) it works because I probably won't brew again until 06/21. or just leave the starter sit for a week with out pitching it ?

LDB-BMW

OK I will when its done with its initial explosion of CO2. Can I refridgerate the starter after (if ) it works because I probably won't brew again until 06/21. or just leave the starter sit for a week with out pitching it ?

LDB-BMW

Yeah...but if you store it you should make a starter when you decide to pitch it.

Back