Yeast harvest approach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
Question regarding yeast harvest below, after my lengthy introduction.

So I recently visited Russian River Brewing and sampled all of their beers on draft (my first encounter with RR). I must say that I was blown away by their sour's. That experience opened my eyes to the world of sour's, wow! Long story short, I purchased a growler of one beer and a bottle of another. Tomorrow night, some friends of mine and I are going to partake in a sour tasting. My goal is to harvest the yeast from these beers if at all possible. I've read about RR bottle yeast and my question is more about the approach to take. I've read about it on this site, others and have watched videos. However, I will be doing the tasting at their house and will not be able to prep a starter there. I'm wondering if I can quickly recap the bottle once the beer is poured, refrigerate until I get home, make up te starter on Sunday and harvest yeast at that time?

I'm just trying to find the best approach with this. If need be, I may repurchase but at $12-15 for 12oz. I'd like to refrain.

Thanks for the time-b.

You need to know if that yeast was the yeast they fermented the beer with. A lot of breweries will ferment with one yeast and bottle condition with another.

So according to this video...from 5:08 - 5:38 I'm good. This is what I was hoping to do.

Just leave half inch at the bottom, cap/cover and keep upright and you will be fine.

If it is a sour you are harvesting, you might just want to keep in the fridge and toss straight into a fermented beer rather than using a starter.

If not using it immediately, I would probably add a little starter wort to the bottle, sanitize the opening, let it ferment out, and then store in the fridge until needed.

Back