Yeast, fruit, and beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQUILAS

Reaction score
So I racked my wheat beer on top of passion fruit juice this past Tuesday. Secondary fermentation kicked off a few hours after, with the morning after going off like it was the first week in the primary all over again. It has since died down and I'm leaving it in there for a week, ramping the temp up for it to finish befoer I bottle. I used my new ferm bucket, which is a bit opaque, so you can kind of see the beer through it. Inside, I saw a some trub/yeast cake at the bottom.

My question is, when yeast is fermented with fruit/fruit juices/purees/what have you, would that change their characteristics if pitched again?

I'm thinking of harvesting this little bit of slurry after I bottle and using it in a future wheat beer to see if it changes any. Yeast is wyeast 1010 btw.

No, it won't change it.
The only thing I might consider is that if there's a thick layer of fruit puree on the bottom, you might have to rinse the yeast rather than just repitching the slurry. But since you used juice, even that's not a concern.

Latest posts

Back