Yeast for split batch (6.5 gal and 3 gal. carboys)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnitty

Reaction score
I've been brewing with a good friend who was staying with us for a while. Recently he moved out (thank god says my wife) but now sharing the beer is more difficult. He's been coming over and leaving with full growlers. I hate to admit this because homebrew should be shared but when he leaves with one gallon of beer my wife and I are a little sad. We shouldn't be of course since he's actually helping to pay for the ingredients.

So we're starting to brew enough beer now to fill a 6.5 gal. carboy (5.5 gal. for my 5 gal. corneys) and a 3 gal. carboy (for his soon to be purchased 2.5 gal. keg).

Anyway, we've been preparing starters on a stir plate made from parts scavenged from an old computer he took when his wife kicked him out :) The first time we brewed this volume we used the starter for the larger carboy and pitched a second vial into the smaller carboy. Should we continue in the fashion or could we step up a single vial large enough to pour 1/3 into the 3 gal. and 2/3 into the larger carboy.
Thanks,
Dean

I would step up the starter. Couple of advantages. 1, you know the yeast is healthy. 2, it wakes the yeast up, gets them ready. You could still get the 2 vials to help get pitching rate up.

My vote is for one big healthy starter.

The first time we brewed this volume we used the starter for the larger carboy and pitched a second vial into the smaller carboy. Should we continue in the fashion or could we step up a single vial large enough to pour 1/3 into the 3 gal. and 2/3 into the larger carboy.
Thanks,
Dean

Why waste money on a second vial when you are going to the trouble to make a starter anyway? Just make a larger starter or step it up. You could even step it up and store the yeast for the next brewday as well.

el caro,
This is my preference! If it's not too much trouble could you please provide some guidance on how to step it up? Currently I use a 2L flask and make a 2L starter (SG at about 1.04 I believe). I add some yeast nutrient and put it on the stir plate. About 36-48 hours later I place it in the fridge to crash cool and then decant. I know that there are two schools of thought here (pitch at high krausen vs chill and decant). I've tasted the "beer" from the flask and I don't want that in my beer.

Considering this is how I generally work, how would I step it up? Do I just add a new batch of wort to the yeast after decanting? Do I need a larger flask?
Thank you,
Dean

Latest posts

Back