Yeast for Old Rasputin russian imperial stout clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I am trying to come up with a recipe for an old rasputin clone. I have looked at several recipe databases and the grain bill seems fairly consistent, the hops are roughly consistent but the yeast selection is all over the place - from nottingham to wyeast american ale. Here is my grain and hops bill:

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
71% 13 0 Maris Otter Two Row info 34 30
8% 1 8 Brown Malt info 32 65
5% 1 0 Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) info 34 60
3% 0 10 Chocolate Malt info 34 475
3% 0 10 Roasted Barley - 550L info 34 550
3% 0 10 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L info 33 120
3% 0 8 Victory Malt info 34 25
2% 0 6 Black Patent Malt info 27 550
18 4

use time oz variety form aa
boil 105 mins 0.75 Centennial info pellet 10.0
boil 105 mins 1.25 Cluster info pellet 7.0
boil 30 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer info pellet 8.0
boil 30 mins 1.5 Liberty info pellet 4.0
dry hop 14 days 1.0 Liberty info pellet 4.0

I think I'll end up with an og around 1.090 and I'd like to finish not too dry around 1.022. IBUs should be in the 80 - 90 range. I'm looking for darker raisin choclate kinds of flavor - nothing to sweet or fruity but also not super dry. I saw one recipe that used champaigne yeast in the secondary (not appealing).

Any suggestions?

I did the BYO recipe for this beer a couple of months ago. They called for WLP001 and it went from 1.082 down to 1.014 in a little over a week (with a huge starter). My OG was a little lower than I wanted, so the FG came out a little lower too. But, it's been on the gas in the kegger and balancing out nicely.

but the yeast selection is all over the place - from nottingham to wyeast american ale.

Not to split hairs, but that's "all over the place"? Those yeasts are very, very similar. Basically the recipes are calling for a neutral, clean ale yeast with low esters. Notty is a little more on the English side, but still very, very clean. If it was me, I'd pitch 2 packs of US-05 and walk away. Old Rasputin has no yeast character at all, you just need a yeast that will knock down the high gravity.

Actually, if it was me, I'd use the wort to kick up my compost heap, then go brew a beer that I could actually drink ... Ol' Raz is WWAAAYYY to big of a stout for my taste.....

Not to split hairs, but that's "all over the place"? Those yeasts are very, very similar. Basically the recipes are calling for a neutral, clean ale yeast with low esters. Notty is a little more on the English side, but still very, very clean. If it was me, I'd pitch 2 packs of US-05 and walk away. Old Rasputin has no yeast character at all, you just need a yeast that will knock down the high gravity.

Actually, if it was me, I'd use the wort to kick up my compost heap, then go brew a beer that I could actually drink ... Ol' Raz is WWAAAYYY to big of a stout for my taste.....

I know - I did not give a very good example but I only see the same yeast on two out of maybe 8 recipes (the Wyeast american ale). I am looking for something that won't finish too dry and lower the gravity too much - I don't want to finish below say 1.020.

Back