Yeast for my biere de garde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
A couple days ago when I was visiting my family in Los Angeles for Christmas, I went to Ladyface Brewery. I was blown away by their Biere De Garde and decided I wanted to make one of my own. The more research I did, though, the more confused I got. Mainly I was at a loss as for what yeast to use. I liked the yeast Ladyface used. It was low in phenols and gave off loads of fruity flavors--especially bubblegum.

I actually ended up asking the brewery what yeast they used. They were nice enough to respond:

Thank you for your inquiry. We share the same love of that beer. Like most farmhouse ales, it is historically dependent on the local flora and fauna or house strains of each brewery. For the few batches we have made, we have used a farmhouse strain. We like S-26 because of its earthy, spicy qualities. We also add about 5% flaked corn for body texture. The description form the lab is as follows:

S-26 Farmhouse Ale
74-79% apparent attenuation • variable flocculation • 70-95°F fermentation range
This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery
finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.
Very high alcohol tolerance

But this lab also has a Bière de garde yeast which is similar. I'm sure Wyeast has several Belgian strong ale yeast strains that can be used as well:
S-25 Bier de Garde
74-79% apparent attenuation • low flocculation • 70-95°F fermentation range
Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness.
Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.
Very high alcohol tolerance

Hope this helps, and good luck on your brew!

I've never heard of either of these strains and an internet search proved fruitless. Are these just shop terms for Wyeast or White Labs strains? Any advice would be appreciated.

They sound like the Wyeast strains, both of which are Private Collection yeasts that only get released occasionally.

WY 3726 is their Farmhouse strain. I used it in a Saison recently and just tasted the first bottle a couple of days ago. Slightly funky. Nice potential.

Wyeast 3726-PC Farmhouse Ale Yeast
Beer Styles: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Profile: This strain produces complex esters balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish. A perfect strain for farmhouse ales and saisons.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 74-79%
Temp. Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

WY3725 is their Biere de Garde. yeast. I did a Biere de Garde with this strain and it was a great brew. I am definitely brewing this one again when the yeast becomes available again

Wyeast 3725-PC Biere de Garde Yeast
Beer Styles: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Profile: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.
Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation low
Attenuation 74-79%
Temp. Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

Thank you for the advice. I'll raise hell with my LHBS to see if I can get them to order some when they come in season.

One question, though, is that I always got more phenols than esters from times I used saison yeast. Would lowering the fermentation temperature decrease the phenolics enough to where the esters would start popping?

I haven't used 3725 for a bière de garde, but I brewed a saison with it several days ago. Supposedly the Phantome strain so I have no idea why Wyeast calls it BdG. I let it rise into the 80s and think it will be a good saison. For a BdG I'd pitch upper 60s and stay under 70 or just use a kölsch strain. I also like white labs French farmhouse, wlp072.

Back