Yeast for a Raspberry Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcfontario

Reaction score
My first post here, so I hope that I have the right section!

I am hoping to start a Raspberry Wheat beer next week and need some guidance on yeast selection. I will be using 50/50 wheat/2-row and hopping to about 20 IBU with Perle or Hallertau. I will add the raspberry puree to the secondary for 1-2 weeks.

MY LHBS suggested a Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat beer yeast, but I am wondering how the esters in this would play against the sourness of the raspberries? Would S05 or S06 be a better yeast choice?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a big fan of WY 1010 like @MaxStout I have also used Imperial Independence and S-04 with my base American Wheat recipe and been very happy with the results!

Can you control ferment temperatures? If not, what's the temperature in the room you'll have the fermenter in? That's a key consideration in yeast choice.

I’ve made a raspberry wheat a couple times and used WY 1318 and liked the way it came out. I did use different hops, magnum at 60 and calista at flameout.

Can you control ferment temperatures? If not, what's the temperature in the room you'll have the fermenter in? That's a key consideration in yeast choice.
Gnomebrewer, I have the option of two different rooms, both of which have steady temperatures varying by probably no more than 1 degrees F of the mean. One room is at 73 F and the other is at 67 F.

Gnomebrewer, I have the option of two different rooms, both of which have steady temperatures varying by probably no more than 1 degrees F of the mean. One room is at 73 F and the other is at 67 F.

In a 67F room, a 5 gallon ferment will reach around the 72F mark during peak ferment. This will work with US05, but isn't great (slightly increased esters and fusel alcohols). Ideally you'd use a swamp cooler to keep things in the mid 60's (or keep the room at 63F for the first 5 days). I haven't used K-97. Is that cleaner at higher temperatures @Steveruch ?

In a 67F room, a 5 gallon ferment will reach around the 72F mark during peak ferment. This will work with US05, but isn't great (slightly increased esters and fusel alcohols). Ideally you'd use a swamp cooler to keep things in the mid 60's (or keep the room at 63F for the first 5 days). I haven't used K-97. Is that cleaner at higher temperatures @Steveruch ?
Last year I used it in a wild blackberry wheat into the low 70s with a good result.

I just brewed a raspberry wheat on Saturday. I fermented with LalBrew West Coast Ale BRY-97.
I have never BRY-97 it but I wanted something clean to bring forward the fruit. Another option and a yeast I am slowing starting to fall in love with is Gulo. It ferments super clean and super low. This yeast will showcase the ingredients in the beer without any yeast flavor.
I am doing a coffee blonde with Gulo and I can't wait to see how the coffee flavor comes through.

Back