yeast difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
I left my s-05 yeast starter to close to the wood stove and my yeast had heat stroke. My Imperial Stout with an o.g. of 1.098 could not wait for a new starter. I quickly kegged my Centennial Blond and poured the cake on the stout, The cake was Nottingham, I am wondering how much this will change the stout?

The difference will be minimal. I ran a split fermentation of a 10 gallon batch using those two yeast and the flavors were almost indistinguishable. You will have plenty of yeast pitching on a cake and that will be a big help with that beer.

By the way I grew up in Montrose. I'm glad to see there is some brewing going on out there!

I grew up in Gunnison but have lived here for the last 20. Thanks for the heads up on the yeast. I have a blowoff tube on it right now and it is definetly fermenting.

I would keep the temp down to 65-66 for the first few days, personally. But otherwise I think Notty will be great.

polecreek, you should not make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate and pitch it. For imperial you probably need two packages.

polecreek, you should not make a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate and pitch it. For imperial you probably need two packages.

Why no starter with dry yeast? I understand the higher cell count than liquid yeast but what other reasons? I typically only make a starter on higher gravity beers say above 1.060 with dry yeast. I usually dont bother rehydrating and just pitch on lower gravity beer.

polecreek, it has to do with the way the yeast is prepared when it is dried. By making a starter, you are depleting the energy (which I think is glycol).

Latest posts

Back