Yeast died off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMO1984

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of cider (or am trying to) just last Sunday. I used two gallons of unpasteurized w/o preservatives - raw fresh orchard cider. Before I placed it into a carboy, I simmered it in a pan to make sure I killed any wild yeast. However, once I poured it into the carboy, I fear I did not wait long enough for it to cool...I put the champagne yeast in while it was a bit warm. The airlock bubbled for about three days and has since stopped, it hasn't even been a week...Has my yeast died or been killed off because of the temps?

Thanks.
Tim

I may have reached its terminal gravity, only way to tell is check with a gravity reading. It may be that it is just finished fermenting for the most part.

Dan,
Nice to meet a local!

I have a hydrometer - is it as simple as pouring out some into a pan/glass and measuring it that way? And what type of reading am I looking for that is ideal?

Thanks.

Dan,
Nice to meet a local!

I have a hydrometer - is it as simple as pouring out some into a pan/glass and measuring it that way? And what type of reading am I looking for that is ideal?

Thanks.

No- never ever pour your cider now. Make sure you protect it from oxygen, and only siphon it when you move it to a new container when you move it. If you have a ton of sediment you may want to siphon it to a new vessel in about a month.

To take a reading, use a "wine thief" or a sanitized turkey baster and put the sample in a test jar or other long skinny tube and then float the hydrometer in it.

Make sure you have your cider topped up to near the top of the carboy, to avoid oxygenating it now that fermentation has slowed.

You're looking for an SG of .990-1.004 or so, but if it's above .990 it may very well drop some more over the next few days.

I use the little tube my hydrometer came in, just make sure if it is the type the bottom comes off, you hold it, I have had to clean a few messes up.

Back