Yeast comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Wraith

Reaction score
…..preparing absolutely non-scientific yeast comparison, appreciate any comments/suggestions. It’s not like I’m unhappy with the yeasts I’ve been using, just doing a little casual comparison and looking for any thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom. Also looking for any guesses on the outcome

Planning four batches, identical except for yeasts -

Four 5 gal Italian carboys

Twelve 1 gal bottles Kirkland not-from-concentrate from the same pallet

Eight 1 liter bottles SMART JUICE Organic Antioxidant Force mixed not-from-concentrate 100% juice

Four identical stoppers/air locks

Four identical AEB cornelius kegs

Yeasts, freshly ordered and arrived:
Nottingham
S-04
71B
Mangrove Jack’s M02

Into each carboy three gallons Kirkland, two bottles Antioxidant Force, dash of yeast nutrient, one of the four different packets of yeast. After two to three weeks going down to wherever they want to go transfer to AEB kegs to go to about 8 ~ 12 PSI at around 38 ~ 40 F

Well, folks, any suggestions on the process?

Any guesses as to the outcome? Thanks -

Last edited:
....anybody else been using this? ...just now having a glass made from three gals Kirkland and a bottle of this and a bottle of not-from-concentrate 100% Pomegranate at about 8 PSI at 40 F and it's pretty darned good - ha ... amazingly good, actually

antiox_force.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you planning to do a blind taste test? I'd be very interested in hearing the results. I have used all four of those yeasts. It's likely that different people will prefer the taste produced by different yeasts.

Thank you for the reply! - Well, I hadn't thought it through that far, but that's a great question. I've got to think about it. Thanks! -

....anybody else been using this? ...just now having a glass made from three gals Kirkland and a bottle of this and a bottle of not-from-concentrate 100% Pomegranate at about 8 PSI at 40 F and it's pretty darned good - ha ... amazingly good, actually

View attachment 777826
I've thought about trying the pomegranate juice in my "Aldi ciders" but was afraid it would be too tart. Is yours very tart?

Thanks for commenting...

I recall years ago adding something like one quart of 100% pomegranate to about five gallons of the best apple juice available. I seem to remember that it certainly changed the color but it was questionable whether the pom could actually be tasted or not. My wife said she could taste it, I believed I could not.

Over the years I've hit upon three gals of apple in addition to two liters or thereabouts of one's favorite high-quality mixed juice. That results in a taste that definitely comes through and the result is great.

To address your comment, my experience has been that pomegranate juice is maybe never going to be too tart because whatever happens, that tartness is attenuated and it smooths out. Usually, mostly what results is a smooth drinkable success.

Last edited:
Looks like a good spread of popular yeasts

I will be interested in what you have to say about a comparison between S04 and M02. I have used both, and currently my go-to is S04 because it is generally reliable and the results predictable. Having said that, a few months ago (posted 22 May) I did a comparison of S04, Cote des Blancs, and Fermentis new AS2 using the same juice for each "trial". I didn't include M02, but on reflection "should have".

All didn't quite go to plan as the S04 stalled for some reason or other. However after a bit of fiddling to get the bottling SG of each trial to the same level (plus a pinch of yeast to ensure carbonation) I ended up with a reasonable comparison.

The end result was that I still prefer S04 although the AS2 does have a nice citrus aftertaste (as suggested by the Fermentis data), and after a few months the CdeB has developed some nice complexity so until I run out, the "taste test" continues (shame I didn't do larger trial batches as time in the bottle seems to have some influence). In the past I have been quite happy with the M02 results, and as I said above, it would have been good to include this in the trial. I am looking forward to seeing your outcomes.

Cheers!

I did a similar test for myself a year or two ago. My candidates were: Nottingham, S04, D47 and M02. Based on my preferences I ranked them first to last as follows: M02, S04, D47 then Nott. I've also used EC-1118 since then and it comes in just behind M02 for me.

I did a similar test for myself a year or two ago. My candidates were: Nottingham, S04, D47 and M02. Based on my preferences I ranked them first to last as follows: M02, S04, D47 then Nott. I've also used EC-1118 since then and it comes in just behind M02 for me.
Wow - thank you for the post ... that's great info ... I'll be keeping that in mind and report what my results seem to be - thanks!

Folks - thanks for the thoughtful feedback, very helpful

...have continuing reading what I can find here and elsewhere on yeast recommendations and it's looking like the mention of Nottingham for cider is spotty and 71B seems to almost be in the noise. So I'm evaluating keeping some ingredients in reserve and scaling back the comparison to just two yeasts by simply having S04 and M02 going head to head. If so would I be potentially missing a great surprise find, or simply isolating down to the two acknowledged top contenders? Thoughts?

Update - ok, continuing searching the forums now coming across some threads hadn't initially found with some surprisingly good comments for Nottingham - so maybe do a threefer including Nottingham ;)

Last edited:
We have done ciders with wine and ale yeasts, and ultimately, the fave is S-05. The best ciders we make come from a yeast cake where we made a blonde ale first, and then aged it on the house sour culture. I know that's not particularly helpful to you, but S-05 is very neutral and the hint of hops and malt from an existing yeast cake adds a little complexity in what could be a very boring cider if made from store-bought juice.

Just my $0.02, which is probably only worth $0.018 if you consider inflation.

Thanks for the input! ... yes, well I can relate...currently sparingly pouring the final glasses of a cider that is exceptional ... two months ago when I got active with a couple new batches of cider my wife decided to make a mead ... I didn't pay attention but I recall she worked at the stove for an hour or so and I remember smelling honey and seeing things like rose hips or hibiscus and tea bags. We put her new creation into an available 5 gal carboy which was overkill for the two gallon batch and after about ten days transferred to a more appropriate 3 gal. I was extra cautious to minimize sediment disturbance so there was a healthy reminder of excellent smelling mess at the bottom. So then what? Ah... in went apple and a bottle of mixed juice and a bottle of pom. After fermenting and kegging and chilling.... ah... wow so good... just incredible

Thanks for your comment!

... waiting on beginning the comparison I nonetheless wanted to get something new going ... having read the raves on M02 just started a three gallon Kirkland, two liter mixed juice, two low teaspoons nutrient, and M02 (not exactly cheap in US, yikes!)

... looks like things are rolling along nicely ... time will tell

m02_first_batch.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. Because it looks like one can’t go wrong with M02 think I’m going to hold off the yeast comparison until a rainy day but for something for the remaining days of summer started a comparison between tart cherry and pomegranate with M02

ingredients.jpeg

…. also trying fermenting in kegs for the first time - just at the beginning of that journey

che.jpeg

pom.jpeg

...well there won’t be much to report here because these combos are always outstanding

out.jpeg

Thanks for reading and commenting -

Had the opportunity so just began what will be a comparison between S-04 and Mangrove Jack's M02

Last edited:
Looks like S0-4 and M02 are progressing similarly

Last edited:
Not super experienced - I've just Nottingham once for cider and had to dump in the end. It developed a Sulphur twang and it never cleared , even after 6 months. My best experience was with the cider select yeast.

Im try :
Fermentis AS-2, TF-6, AC-4
Red star Cote de blanc
IOC Be fruit
Lalvin D47, QA23
Fresco cider yeast

For me now best are Be fruit, TF-6 and QA23

Back