Yeast cleaning up after themselves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
Yeast cleaning up after themselves. What exactly are the yeast doing? Pardon my ignorance on this matter, but I see it used as an answer to "is my beer done?" questions here on HBT a lot. Someone please enlighten me to this process.

They are processing some of the compounds that they released earlier that lead to some off-flavors. For more information than you ever wanted about this, I suggest Yeast by Chris White (of White Labs) and Jamil Zainasheff. http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/yeast-the-practical-guide-to-beer-fermentation/

Yeast-197x315.png

Edit: What @d3track said ^^^^^ :)

Basically there are compounds such as acetaldehyde and diacetyl that are produced during the fermentation process as intermediaries of converion from sugars to ethanol (the reactions are explained both in the "Yeast" book as well as many brewing science texts). After the yeast stop fermenting sugars, they work to break these various intermediary compounds down or reabsorb them back, taking them out of the finished product (or at least to levels below threshold). Certain yeasts produce more of these than others, clean up more of it than others, and certain styles allow more of these than others (and in most styles, they shouldn't be detectable at all).

Basically there are compounds such as acetaldehyde and diacetyl that are produced during the fermentation process as intermediaries of converion from sugars to ethanol (the reactions are explained both in the "Yeast" book as well as many brewing science texts). After the yeast stop fermenting sugars, they work to break these various intermediary compounds down or reabsorb them back, taking them out of the finished product (or at least to levels below threshold). Certain yeasts produce more of these than others, clean up more of it than others, and certain styles allow more of these than others (and in most styles, they shouldn't be detectable at all).

Thank you for explaining this to me. I ordered the book Yeast so now I can read to learn more.

Latest posts

Back