Yeast can be painful!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cercueil

Reaction score
I just wanted to share this humurous story with you (at my expense...lol). I am new to kegging and have kegged 2 beers so far. I kegged EdWorts Haus Pale Ale and a stout. When I poured the first pint, (The beer tube isn't cut) I saw all the yeast in there and threw it out. Since then I finished that keg. Next up was a stout. I was so excited about trying the first pint that I forgot to throw away the first pint with all the yeast in it. Fast forward to 3am that night. I wake up with a huge pain in my stomach. I was wondering if the food I ate was no good. I then had pepto and gas-x and things settled down after that. The next day I woke up and realized what I had done. I guess I had a little primary fermentation going on in my stomach!

No fermentation going on in your stomach. A healthy dose of yeast could definately build up some pressure down there though. I could hardly stand myself the first week I started drinking homebrew.

The yeast can ferment any other sugars you eat at the same time, but some people just have a low tolerance of the stuff.

The yeast can ferment any other sugars you eat at the same time, but some people just have a low tolerance of the stuff.

Stomach acid won't kill them? The pH is between 1 and 3 in your stomach. I guess I never figured that yeast could live in that. That is truly acidic.

I just read this online but I would be interested if there was any scientific findings about live yeast in the stomach. I can't seem to find too much on it.

"It takes a special technique to eat raw yeast because in the stomach and intestines the yeast does the job it is supposed to do: convert sugars into alcohol and carbon dioxide gas. The entire digestive tract then bloats with gas and the person will feel very uncomfortable for some time."

I'm amazed that it can live in the stomach with HCL in there and the low PH. You would think it would get killed immediately.

I'm amazed that it can live in the stomach with HCL in there and the low PH. You would think it would get killed immediately.

+1. It doesn't kill everything. There's a bacteria (H. pylori) that actually thrives in that environment and can be a cause of reflux. I'm getting ready to get an endoscopy to find out, been trying to kill it with alcohol but to no avail. :drunk:

If the yeast stuck around, they would die. But, when you drink and don't eat, much of the beer will move into the small intestine in a few minutes. The alcohol gets absorbed quickly and the yeast do what they do best as the complex sugars are broken down.

Back