Yeast Blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootersBrewCrew

Reaction score
So I used two yeast strains: wyeast3942 and wyeast 3944 (Belgian wheat/Belgian wit) and made a 1700ml starter with a starter gravity of 1.080. Not sure if this was the profile I wanted but it tastes very tart and "yeasty"... Does it need to just settle out more or did I mix too much of one yeast over another?

Pilsner9#/two row8#/flaked wheat2# (19lb bill)
1oz nugget 45 minutes (22.8ibu)
Lavender, lemon peel, orange peel

Thoughts on the blend? Too much? Doesn't matter? Suggestions??

Is this the flavor you're getting from the starter or the actual beer?

First of all, letting the yeast settle out always helps the flavor become less yeasty, especially for some of the less flocculant strains. Even the first couple pints off a keg generally taste a lot murkier than those for the rest of the keg.

1.080 is a really high stater gravity too. Generally you want to keep the staryer gravity in the neighborhood of 1.040 so you don't stress the yeast out too much before pitching. Even if they're going into a high gravity wort, they'll be happier if they did their reproducing in the starter at a lower gravity.

Yeah, the flavor of the starter is not a great indicator for beer flavor. Agreed about the high gravity starter, as well. I think the blend will be nice, but you may not be able to figure out what flavors are coming from which yeast.

Great reviews guys. I have overwhelming results from the question that my starter is too high. I used a youtube vision for my starters. I just made a starter for a brew on Sunday and kept it around 1.040.

The BEER is tasting yeasty not the starter. The starter ( i never taste them)
I force carbed with a bottle of it with my "coke bottle" cap and left it sit for 24 hours. The yeasty mix settled out and it tasted like i wanted: Tart, Lavender, with some citrus notes.

Thank you for the responses! The blend ended up being very good for the body and tartness of the overall beer. :::CHEERS:::

Back